As expected, Las Vegas Sands Corp. has asked Clark District Judge Rob Bare to either reduce drastically, throw out entirely or order a retrial of the verdict won last month by former company consultant Richard Suen.
The award, now standing at $102.8 million including the $70 million granted by the jury, interest and requested trial costs, does not pass legal muster for several reasons, according to the company’s 53-page brief. In particular, Las Vegas Sands said that Bare allowed hearsay testimony in favor of Suen and permitted improper instructions to be given to the jury while omitting others forwarded by Sands. Further, Suen won based on a valuation of his services in helping Sands obtain its foothold in Macau that should have not been allowed. At most, the court papers said, he should have received the estimate given by former Sands President and Chief Operating Officer William Weidner of $10,000 to $1 million.
Suen attorneys declined to comment. Before, during and after the trial, however, Bare reviewed these issues and gave rulings that detail his reasoning.
The matter will be heard on July 25.
Contact reporter Tim O’Reiley at email@example.com or 702-387-5290.