During her 40 years as an educator, Doris Reed taught in three nations and expanded the minds of hundreds of students.
Subscribe to Naming Las Vegas RSS feed
Naming Las Vegas
Things were different back when Ralph Lamb worked in local law enforcement.
After nearly two decades immersed in politics, a now-82-year-old Las Vegas man helped develop groundbreaking projects that are now essential to Las Vegans every day. For his contributions, his name is affixed on a sign on the 215 Beltway, recognizing one of his more significant projects.
The Clark County Museum, 1830 S. Boulder Highway, named one of its exhibit halls for Anna Roberts Parks, a local female mortician that collected historical artifacts as a hobby.
Signs for the Tiberti Co. can be seen all over the Las Vegas Valley — from the fencing near the “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” sign to the VA hospital in North Las Vegas to parks and various government buildings. Tiberti is now the largest fence company in the state. Tiberti was also the general contractor for the construction of Bishop Gorman High School, and a number of Tiberti family members are alumni. As a tribute, the school named its conference room the J.A. Tiberti Conference Room.
From serving Mexican food to singing La Cucaracha on the guitar, retired language teacher Dr. J. Marlan Walker is a Henderson legend. Well-respected throughout the community, it only made sense when former students, family and friends nominated Walker for an elementary school namesake.
Brent Thurman Way is a frontage road just off the 215 Beltway between Sunset Road and Tropicana Avenue. In 2008, it was named for Brent Cullen Thurman, who died while competing in the 1994 National Finals Rodeo.
Oliver Ranch was initially part of the leased grazing grounds for the Wilson Ranch (now known as Spring Mountain Ranch State Park). The Oliver Ranch was originally owned by William “Bill” Morgan, who created the Morgan Ranch when he homesteaded 160 acres around 1920. His brother, Reese, was listed as part-owner but is not believed to have lived there.
When Henderson resident Esther Cothrun advocated naming an elementary school for her parents, she learned it pays to have the support of the community.
Community events at MountainView Hospital, 3100 N. Tenaya Way, are often held in the Mark Howard Classroom. Howard’s is not a household name, but it has significance for the facility: He was its first president and CEO.
After being an educator for nearly 50 years, Centennial Hills High School’s first principal left her mark on hundreds of students and educators throughout the Las Vegas Valley.
It’s uncommon for one roadway to be named for another, but such is the case for Arrowhead Trail near Horizon and College drives.
John Thomas McWilliams, the namesake of McWilliams Elementary School, 315 Hiawatha Road, the McWilliams Campsite on Mount Charleston and McWilliams Avenue, was a Las Vegas Valley pioneer in a number of categories.
When a street is named for someone, it’s usually the person’s full name or the last name that is used. Not so with Alexander Road, which runs east and west and is located north of Cheyenne Avenue. It was named for Alexander Coblentz.
Ward Drive, formerly Beverly Drive, was renamed for longtime Henderson resident Milton Eugene Ward in 1958.
Harmon Percy Marble, known as H.P. Marble, became the mayor of Las Vegas during one of the weirder periods of Las Vegas politics. It was just one of many careers he had, and it isn’t the main reason he is remembered.
Charles A. Silvestri has a school named for him at 1055 Silverado Ranch Blvd. He also established a grant through the Nevada Community Foundation, based in Summerlin.
RENO — U.S. Bureau of Land Management officials say they agree with a Nevada sheriff’s position that Moapa rancher Cliven Bundy must be held accountable for his role in an April standoff between his supporters and the federal agency.
The Goumond house, on Heritage Street at the Clark County Museum, took about 15 years to restore. The home is named for gambling pioneer Prosper J. Goumond.
When Maude Frazier Hall was demolished in 2009, Archie C. Grant Hall, the second building constructed at UNLV, became the oldest facility on the campus. Grant was the first University of Nevada regent from Southern Nevada and one of the strongest voices for creating UNLV.
Hikers in the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area may have seen Dale’s Trail in their travels. Employees and volunteers in the park attribute the title to Dale Morrison, who led a group of three Eagle Scout troops and the National Outdoor Leadership School in the trail’s construction in 1996.
Along with the successful career Chester T. Sewell had at Basic Magnesium Inc. and its affiliated companies, he worked hard to give back to the community.
Few people can say they had a street named for them. Even fewer can say they had a street named for them without their knowledge.
- Page 1