Candle fire displaces four people


A house fire accidentally started by a candle near Elkhorn and Fort Apache roads Sunday morning left one person treated for smoke inhalation and one pet deceased.

According to Las Vegas firefighters, they arrived to 9169 W. Dorrell Lane just after 1 a.m. Sunday. Occupants informed them a sofa upstairs was on fire, and that they had unsuccessfully tried to extinguish it with water.
The fire was put out by firefighters in less than a minute, but there was a strong smoke presence was upstairs. After it cleared, a dead cat was discovered.

One person was treated on the scene for smoke inhalation, firefighters said, possibly from trying to put the fire out. Four people were displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Remember to keep candles at least one foot away from flammable materials, and to never let them burn while you're sleeping or away from the area.

Timothy Szymanski, public education and information officer for the Las Vegas Fire Department, said fires started by candles are one of the leading reasons for fires in the valley.

 

Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.