Fatally shot Nellis airman may have been targeted

An airman from Nellis Air Force Base was fatally shot at his southwest Las Vegas home late Wednesday as he prepared to drive to work, and police believe the killer targeted him specifically.

Las Vegas police Lt. Lew Roberts said evidence indicates the victim was killed by someone who was waiting for him to go to work.

"We have no motive whatsoever," Roberts said Thursday night.

The Clark County coroner's office Friday identified the man as Nathan Paet, 28. He died from multiple gunshot wounds. Police identified the victim only as a military member and father of four. A Nellis spokesman said the victim was an airman stationed there.

"It doesn't appear the guy had any enemies, work issues, etcetera," Roberts said.

He also said nothing suggests the slaying was related to a robbery attempt.

Roberts said the victim's wife was inside the home and heard four shots before her husband stumbled inside. The killer was "in close proximity" to the victim at the time of the shooting, Roberts said.

The incident occurred about 11:30 p.m. at 9263 Alta Monte Court, a two-story home purchased in August 2009 by Nathan and Michelle Paet.

Henderson resident Joe Radebaugh owns an adjacent home, where he lived from January to August.

"It's a nice, quiet neighborhood," Radebaugh said.

He said many of the houses on the street, near state Route 160 and Durango Drive, are in foreclosure and empty.

Radebaugh recalled a neighbor who wore a military uniform and who introduced himself as "Nate." He described Nate as a "really nice guy" and remembered seeing him play ball in the street with two young children, a girl and a boy.

"We didn't talk a lot," Radebaugh said.

Police said residents of the Mountain's Edge community called 911 around 11:30 p.m. to report hearing gunshots. About a minute later, police received a 911 call reporting that a man had been shot while in the garage of his home in the same area.

Officers and emergency medical personnel discovered a man suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. He was taken to University Medical Center, where he died.

Police said the victim opened his garage door and was preparing to drive to work when he was shot. The victim made it back inside the home before collapsing.

Witnesses told police they saw a man in a tan or brown hooded sweat shirt running east on Alta Monte Court at the time of the shooting. He then entered a black car.

Anyone with information about the crime may call the Las Vegas police homicide section at 828-3521.

And those who wish to remain anonymous may call Crime Stoppers at 385-5555.

Contact reporter Carri Geer Thevenot at cgeer@reviewjournal.com or 702-384-8710.