Updated 

Lawsuit against Mayweather dropped


Undefeated champion boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. has had his share of knockdown verdicts in Clark County courts recently.

But the 36-year-old appears to be back on the winning side.

A lawsuit against Mayweather and two bodyguards involved in a roller skating rink shooting in August 2009 has been wiped clean.

The only cost to Mayweather? Paying his lawyers, according to court documents.

In a 2011 lawsuit, Mayweather, Ocie Harris and Jackie Ray Jones were accused of conspiracy and assault against Quincey Williams and Damian Bland.

The suit, filed by powerhouse personal injury lawyer Robert Eglet, stemmed from an Aug. 23, 2009, shooting after a fallout between Mayweather and Williams, his one-time employee.

But last week, the case was summarily closed when no one showed up to a hearing before District Judge Jerry Wiese, court records show.

Mayweather had long been dismissed from the lawsuit.

In a curious two-page order dated Sept. 21, 2012, Eglet’s firm along with Mayweather’s lawyers agreed the case against the boxer would be dismissed with prejudice and each side would pay their own attorneys fees and costs.

There was no other disposition in the case, such as a deal filed under seal, according to court records.

Neither Eglet’s firm nor Mayweather’s lawyers, including Kara Hendricks of the firm Greenberg Traurig, returned repeated messages seeking comment.

Williams declined to comment when he was reached.

After the shooting, Williams told authorities Mayweather threatened his life at the skating rink on Boulder Highway, north of Flamingo Road, over a text message in which Williams said he hoped the undefeated boxer would lose his next fight.

Authorities said around 10 p.m. that day, Harris shot at a BMW as it was leaving the skating rink. Williams and Bland were inside. The car was hit six times.

No one was injured, and Mayweather was not charged.

Harris, of Chicago, was indicted and pleaded guilty to three charges in April 2012.

Harris is serving a two- to five-year sentence at Southern Desert Correctional Center, northwest of Las Vegas in Indian Springs.

Contact reporter Francis McCabe at fmccabe@review journal.com or 702-380-1039.

 

Rules for posting comments

Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum. Read our guidelines for posting. If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon next to the comment.