Suspects in Henderson teen's kidnapping face immigration hold

Two men charged with kidnapping a 17-year-old girl last week also are being detained with federal immigration holds.

Alejandro Manuel Sanchez-Sanchez, 25, and Cesar Sanchez, 30, both of Las Vegas, made their first appearance in Henderson Justice Court on Tuesday morning.

Justice of the Peace Stephen George read the men their rights and scheduled a Sept. 11 hearing. Both men used a Spanish interpreter.

Both were being held at the Henderson Detention Center on more than $1 million bail on kidnapping, extortion and conspiracy charges.

Immigration holds keep inmates jailed for potential immigration violations, preventing their release pending trial if they post bond on the criminal charges.

The men are charged with snatching Melissa Duran from the doorway of her Henderson home about 7:30 a.m. Friday. Henderson police found Duran and the suspects about 4:30 a.m. Saturday at an apartment on Flower Avenue, near Stewart and Eastern avenues in Las Vegas. Duran was unharmed.

Police said the men called the girl's parents soon after the kidnapping and demanded a ransom. A friend of the family told the Review-Journal the men asked for $150,000.

The men might have had ties to the landscaping company owned by Duran's father, but police did not elaborate, saying the case remains under investigation.

Contact reporter Mike Blasky at or 702-383-0283.


Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.