TRUCKEE, Calif. — A criminal investigation into the deaths of two men in Truckee due to carbon monoxide poisoning last month is nearing an end.
Police said the gas that killed 69-year-old Albert Senzatimore of San Jose and 57-year-old Gary Trovinger of Los Gatos originated from a heater in a Tahoe Donner subdivision home, about 33 miles west of Reno.
According to police, a contractor without a building permit or approved plans had previously installed a door in the mechanical room space where the heater is located.
Investigators said when the residents turned on the heater after the work was performed, the house filled with carbon monoxide that killed the two Oct. 26.
Truckee Police Chief Adam McGill told Truckee’s Sierra Sun the case will soon be forwarded to the Nevada County district attorney’s office.
He declined to reveal the name of the contractor or further details due to the ongoing investigation.
The victims were friends, and Trovinger was the home’s owner.