SPARKS — School district officials say a loud sound that prompted officials to evacuate a Sparks high school was caused by a broken fire sprinkler head.
Washoe County School District spokesman Charles Rahn says the bomb squad was called after the loud noise about 7:45 a.m. Friday at Spanish Springs High School.
Early reports indicated a vending machine had exploded.
Rahn says the confusion apparently arose because the sprinkler head was close to the machine and the sound echoed through the cinder block building.
Rahn says classes have been cancelled for the day.
Authorities are investigating whether any tampering contributed to the sprinkler malfunction.
The district’s website says 2,400 students are enrolled in the school, which is located in a suburban area about 12 miles north of downtown Reno.