Washoe board offers superintendent job back


RENO — The Washoe County School Board is asking ousted Superintendent Pedro Martinez to return to his job.

The Reno Gazette-Journal first reported on its website Thursday that the board has agreed to void any action it took last week regarding Martinez’ employment and wants him to return to work immediately.

Board President Barbara Clark said in a statement the “events and circumstances” surrounding last week’s ouster “had more to do with attitude, demeanor and lack of cooperation than it did with certifications and diplomas.”

Martinez told the newspaper he will consider the offer.

Martinez has filed a lawsuit accusing the board of violating the state’s open meetingslaw. He said they fired him illegally in a dispute over whether he is a certified public accountant, which he says he is.

 

Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or Stephens Media LLC. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.