Washoe School Board offers superintendent job back


RENO (AP) — The Washoe County School Board is asking ousted Superintendent Pedro Martinez to return to his job.

The Reno Gazette-Journal first reported on Thursday that the board has agreed to void any action it took last week regarding Martinez’ employment and wants him to return to work immediately.

Board President Barbara Clark said in a statement the “events and circumstances” surrounding last week’s ouster “had more to do with attitude, demeanor and lack of cooperation than it did with certifications and diplomas.”

Martinez told the newspaper he will consider the offer.

Martinez has filed a lawsuit accusing the board of violating the state’s open-meetings law. He says they fired him illegally in a dispute over whether he is a certified public accountant, which he says he is.

 

Rules for posting comments

Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum. Read our guidelines for posting. If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon next to the comment.