Florida man's Halloween display takes dangerous turn

PALM BAY, Fla. — A Florida man suffered second-degree burns over roughly half his body after accidentally setting himself on fire while lighting a Halloween display.

Authorities say Ron Nielson of Palm Bay was using gasoline, a wooden cross and candles.

Palm Bay Fire Rescue spokeswoman Yvonne Martinez tells Florida Today it’s not clear whether Nielson was trying to light the cross or the candles Tuesday night. She says Nielson’s clothes caught on fire.

Nielson was airlifted to an Orlando hospital. His condition early Thursday isn’t known.

One of his neighbors said Nielson had put up ghosts, a scarecrow and other Halloween decorations earlier in the day. Brenda Lister says she heard an explosion and ran outside to find Nielson lying in a ditch with burns over much of his body.


Rules for posting comments

Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum. Read our guidelines for posting. If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon next to the comment.