H1N1 death confirmed


A 53-year-old man who died in May tested positive for the H1N1 virus, Southern Nevada Health District officials confirmed Tuesday.

Health district spokeswoman Jennifer Sizemore said the man's lab results were only received last week.

It was the eighth confirmed H1N1-related death in Clark County.

The man, whose identity was not revealed, suffered no underlying medical conditions that the health district is aware of.

Sizemore said cases without underlying medical conditions are less typical, but do happen.

"We've had two deaths (from the H1N1 virus) from people in their 30s," Sizemore said.

"Generally, this flu has been mild, like past seasonal flu, but every year it hits some people harder than others."

As of Friday, the health district confirmed 294 cases of swine flu in Clark County residents. One patient remains hospitalized.

Flu season typically runs from October through May.

Symptoms of the H1N1 virus resemble those of other strains of influenza, including fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue.

Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting associated with the swine flu. Most cases of the H1N1 virus are mild and require no treatment.

Contact reporter Mike Blasky at mblasky@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0283.

 

Rules for posting comments

Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum. Read our guidelines for posting. If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon next to the comment.