Accidental fire causes nearly $500,000 damage to Summerlin home

An accidental fire caused by a natural gas fireplace caused $475,000 damage to a west valley home late Saturday night, the Las Vegas Fire Department said Sunday.

The fire occurred at a home at 9113 Emerald Cove Court, near Sahara Avenue and Fort Apache Road. Six people were displaced because of the blaze.

According to investigators, firefighters were alerted to the fire about 11:46 p.m. Saturday night. It was extinguished about 30 minutes later. When firefighters arrived, flames were through the roof of the home.

The owners told investigators that they had recently begun using the fireplace after living in the home for six years. Firefighters said the blaze began in a hidden space behind the fireplace in the void area for the chimney. The fire did not become visible until it broke through the roof.

Contact reporter Antonio Planas at or 702-383-4638.


Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.