Elderly man injured, mobile home destroyed in fire


An 80-year-old man narrowly escaped from a mobile home fire with his life Saturday morning.

Las Vegas firefighters went to Zinnia Lane, near Rainbow Boulevard and Craig Road, after a 5 a.m. call and found the mobile home fully engulfed in flames. The dwelling and its contents were destroyed.

The resident, a former U.S. Marine and groundskeeper, told firefighters he woke up choking on smoke. He went to the living room and found his recliner on fire. The man unsuccessfully tried to push the chair outside through a sliding-glass door, burning his hands in the process.

He went outside to his car and started honking the horn. Neighbors responded, some with garden hoses, which had no effect.

The man was taken to MountainView Hospital for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation. The injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Fire officials ruled the fire accidental and said it started near the recliner. While they did not pinpoint a cause, the department's report noted that an extension cord near the chair was being used to supply power to an electric heater, which is an unsafe practice.

The home was uninsured and had no smoke alarms. Damage was estimated at $70,000.

 

Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.