Valley residents asked to surrender leftover fireworks


A large apartment fire that may have been caused by fireworks has prompted the Clark County Fire Department to ask the public to hand over leftover fireworks for disposal.

Clark County Fire Chief Bertral Washington said Friday that fireworks are considered a likely culprit in a Thursday evening fire at Sonoma Shadows apartments, 1750 Karen Ave., near Maryland Parkway and Sahara Avenue.

Preliminary investigations revealed that the fire started outside one of the apartment buildings and spread quickly after it damaged a barbecue propane tank.

The blaze destroyed two apartment buildings, caused $1.5 million in damages, destroyed approximately 24 apartments and displaced approximately 50 people. Four adults, including one firefighter, were injured in the fire. The three civilians who were burned are expected to recover.

"If in fact fireworks caused this fire yesterday, this will be one of the most costly and largest fires as a result of fireworks that our department has seen in the recent past," Washington said. "It serves as a costly reminder to us just how dangerous fireworks can be."

Another fireworks-caused blaze in Las Vegas on Tuesday displaced a family of five and caused $150,000 in damage to a southwest valley home.

To decrease chances of more fires, Washington asked that anyone with leftover fireworks drop the items off to be destroyed at one of two locations: County Fire Station 18, 575 E. Flamingo Road, near Paradise Road, or Fire Station 76, 50 E. Laughlin Circle Drive, in Laughlin.

"There will be no questions asked," Washington said. "We just ask that you bring the fireworks in."

Washington said fire investigators are sifting through rubble and interviewing witnesses in search of the exact cause of the Sonoma Shadows fire.

"We hope to have it wrapped up within the next couple of days," Washington said.

Contact Ben Frederickson at bfrederickson@reviewjournal.com or 702-224-5512.

 

Rules for posting comments

Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum. Read our guidelines for posting. If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon next to the comment.