Vegas man died in standoff by cutting wrist


The Clark County coroner’s office released the cause of death for a 63-year-old man who killed himself during a police standoff earlier this month.

Initial reports said David Viestenz, 63, of Las Vegas, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after a five-hour standoff with police and the SWAT team on Aug. 1, but on Saturday the coroner’s office said he bled to death from a cut on his left wrist.

He had barricaded himself inside a trailer in the 2600 block of Betty Lane, near the intersection of Nellis Boulevard and Carey Avenue, a little before 4 p.m., police said. SWAT was called to the scene and negotiated with him for hours.

Metro supervisor Lt. Yaz Yatomi said during the incident that it began with an argument between two men. Viestenz stabbed the other man in the arm area. Those injuries were not life-threatening, Yatomi said, and the wounded man was sent to University Medical Center.

Contact Wesley Juhl at wjuhl@reviewjournal.com and 702-383-0381. Find him on Twitter: @WesJuhl.

 

Rules for posting comments

Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum. Read our guidelines for posting. If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon next to the comment.