Woman died after candle lit clothes, officials say

A woman killed in a Las Vegas house fire Friday night accidentally set herself ablaze inside a closet at her Creekside Lane home near Rainbow Boulevard and Westcliff Drive.

The unidentified woman, who authorities believe was 74, was found dead on a closet floor.

Fire officials believe she was changing a light bulb inside the closet and the flame of a candle she was using for light caught her clothes on fire.

She died of smoke inhalation and burns, according to fire officials.

The fire took less than a minute to suppress. Damage was limited to the closet and estimated at $5,000.

Authorities initially believed the woman lived in the home with her husband, a Navy veteran, but have since dis­covered he died a couple of years ago. She was alone in the home and the first person killed in a house fire in Las Vegas in 2011.

The Clark County coroner will formally identify the woman.

Contact Doug McMurdo at dmcmurdo @reviewjournal.com or 702-224-5512.


Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.