Hugo Baldovinos’ arrest reports read like a scene from the video game “Grand Theft Auto.”
There were armed robberies, a carjacking and shooting at police during a chase.
And all in a year’s time.
Baldovinos’ alleged crime spree appears to be over for now.
He’s being held at the Clark County Detention Center on $2 million bail in one case and no bail in another.
But that wasn’t the case last year.
On Feb. 4, 2013, he was part of a trio who tried to break into a home in the 2300 block of Westwind Road, near Sahara Avenue and Jones Boulevard, court documents show.
The homeowner, who had been burglarized two weeks earlier, was home and armed. The homeowner called 911 before he shot and killed one of two armed men trying to break in.
Dr. Joseph Piracci testified against Baldovinos at a preliminary hearing later that month and identified him as a lookout who had knocked on Piracci’s door before two others broke into his home.
Piracci killed Anthony “Snoop” Guerra with a single gunshot.
Baldovinos ran after hearing the shot. He jumped into his black BMW and hit the gas.
Las Vegas police officers already were arriving as Baldovinos tried to flee.
He sped past one police cruiser approaching the home and slammed into another.
Baldovinos fled on foot, but officer Autumn Beza jumped from her crashed vehicle and chased down the then-20-year-old.
The third burglar never was identified and remains at large.
Baldovinos told police his name was Eric Hernandez, though detectives were able to identify him because of past arrests.
He told police that prior to the burglary, he, Guerra and the other man smoked methamphetamine. Baldovinos said he only acted as a lookout in the caper.
On Feb. 25 Justice of the Peace Conrad Hafen ordered Baldovinos to stand trial on one felony count each of burglary while in possession of a firearm, battery with use of a deadly weapon and invasion of the home while in possession of a deadly weapon, and one gross misdemeanor count of conspiracy.
The case appeared to be moving quickly through the courts until March 27, when Baldovinos posted $42,000 bail and was released from custody.
On May 6, Baldovinos didn’t show up for a status check in the case a week before he was supposed to stand trial.
District Judge Elissa Cadish delayed the trial to November because a lawyer in the case had a conflict.
When Baldovinos didn’t show up for his next hearing on Nov. 4, Cadish issued a no-bail bench warrant.
Police didn’t catch up to Baldovinos until Dec. 9.
And it’s incredible no one was injured when they did.
Baldovinos and 17-year-old Roland Gabaldon carjacked a man and woman at the Terrible Herbst at 3650 W. Sahara Ave. after trying to sell them marijuana and a gun, according to their arrest report.
Police soon began pursuing the stolen car, a Ford Focus, when Baldovinos is believed to have fired four shots at the pursuing officers from the passenger seat, court documents said.
Then, as the vehicle was making a left turn near Decatur Boulevard and Twain Avenue, a woman opened the door and rolled out of the moving vehicle.
An officer stopped to check on the woman and the Focus, driven by Gabaldon, made a U-turn and was aimed at the officer’s stopped car. The Focus then rammed the police cruiser before speeding away.
The woman later told police that she was at her friend’s house and asked for a ride home. Her friend said that some guys were coming over and they would take her home. She knew the two as “Dreamer” and “Daniel” and did not know they had just committed a carjacking.
Police eventually performed a PIT maneuver — Pursuit Immobilization Technique — and stopped the vehicle in the Rio parking lot.
Baldovinos and Gabaldon fled on foot but were soon arrested.
Investigators discovered two .38-caliber revolvers in the Focus, one which had its serial number scratched out. One of the revolvers had four empty cartridges in it.
Somehow, no one was injured.
A grand jury indicted Baldovinos, now 21, and Gabaldon last week.
They each face 15 charges in the Dec. 9 police chase and shooting, including attempted murder, robbery with use of a deadly weapon, battery, assault with a deadly weapon and grand larceny-auto.
And the grand jury indicted Baldovinos on two more counts of burglary and robbery for taking at gunpoint an unknown amount of cash and a cellphone from a man on Nov. 28, court documents said.
Following the indictment and description of Baldovinos cases to District Judge Linda Bell by prosecutor Nell Christensen, the judge set bail for Baldovinos at $2 million.
She set bail for Gabaldon at $350,000.
Both remain in custody.
An arraignment hearing was set for Wednesday before District Judge Doug Smith.
In the other case, Judge Cadish has set a July 7 trial date.
Baldovinos’ lawyers Augustus Claus and Deputy Public Defender Jeremy Wood both declined to comment.
In all, Baldovinos faces 21 charges and if convicted could face decades in prison.
Contact reporter Francis McCabe at email@example.com or 702-380-1039.