Updated 

Dozens of deadly spiders scurry out of UK woman's banana


A London family was forced out of their home recently after discovering dozens of deadly spiders hatching in a bunch of supermarket bananas.

Consi Taylor, 29, told the Telegraph she found some white spots on the banana she was eating and then noticed something truly disgusting.

“I had a closer look and was horrified to see they were spiders,” she told Sky News. “They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around on my carpet.”

Horrified, Taylor took the bananas back to the supermarket and was offered a $16 gift card for the trouble, according to the Standard.

She then sent a photo of the spiders to a pest control company, which returned the email with an order to leave the house and a warning: “The Brazilian Wandering Spider is venomous and should be considered dangerous. We have to take huge care and diligence.”

Sky News notes the Brazilian wandering spider is the “most venomous in the world.” They are often found in banana plants in South and Central America.

The venom of the spider causes loss of muscle control, paralysis and asphyxiation.

When told the story, the supermarket agreed to pay for the family’s home to be fumigated and for their hotel stay during the wait.

“We’re very sorry and have apologized to Mr. and Mrs. Taylor,” a spokesperson for the chain told the Standard. “We do have rigorous controls on imported products at all stages — from harvesting to transportation — which is why this is so rare.”

 

Rules for posting comments

Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum. Read our guidelines for posting. If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon next to the comment.