The heated race to represent Las Vegas’ west valley Ward 2 is drawing major dollars leading into the April 4 primary, with challenger Christina Roush leading the fundraising pack for the first 10 weeks of 2017.
Roush, who is making her first run for political office, reported contributions last week that outpace incumbent Councilman Bob Beers by more than $84,000.
Roush amassed contributions that top $256,000, compared with Beers’ nearly $172,000. Both figures include in-kind donations.
The reports detail campaign contributions and expenses from Jan. 1 through March 10.
Both Beers and Roush far outraised the $52,361 Ward 2 candidate Steve Seroka reported for the period, which includes $5,000 Seroka loaned his campaign fund.
Roush raked in thousands of dollars from Queensridge residents who have opposed a development on the Badlands golf course, which has become a central issue in the race. At a candidate forum last week, Roush said she’s against urban sprawl and increased density in Ward 2. Among the Badlands development connections in the Ward 2 contribution reports, Beers reported a $7,500 contribution in February from the Kaempfer Crowell law firm, which represents Badlands developers EHB Cos.
Las Vegas Sands Corp. Chairman and CEO Sheldon Adelson and his wife, Miriam Adelson, each contributed $5,000 to Beers. Beers also drew $128,617 in contributions last year.
In the packed race to represent Las Vegas Ward 6, former Nevada Assemblywoman Michele Fiore reported drawing $110,337 in contributions for the period, compared with Kelli Ross’ $72,955. Ross’ largest contribution for the period, $10,000, came from the campaign fund of her husband, Councilman Steve Ross.
Kelli Ross raised $130,050 in 2016, with contributions dating back to July. Ross issued a statement Wednesday touting funds raised to date.
“Today’s report demonstrates that our campaign has now raised nearly $200,000 to date from over 100 donors, outraised our opponents by over $40,000 combined and has built the strongest voter contact operation in the Ward 6 race,” the statement said.
Nine candidates are in the race to succeed term-limited Steve Ross.
Councilman Stavros Anthony reported contributions of $123,460 and $78,266 in expenses vastly exceed that of his Ward 4 challengers. Sean Lyttle drew in $3,436 and Deborah Harris reported raising $350.
Ward 2 candidate Laura Feher and Ward 6 candidates Ryan Alarid and Joel Jarvis filed reports but listed no contributions for the period. The secretary of state’s office showed no filing from Ward 6 candidates Matthew Consoli and Reid Rasner and Ward 4 candidate Jon Edge. The next candidate contribution and expense reports are due March 31.
The Review-Journal is owned by the family of Las Vegas Sands Corp. Chairman and CEO Sheldon Adelson.