Student burned when iPhone catches fire in pants pocket


KENNEBUNK, Maine — School officials in Maine say a student’s smart phone caught fire in her pants pocket, causing minor burns.

The episode unfolded Friday morning at the Middle School of the Kennebunks, where the eighth-grader was getting ready for her first class when her iPhone started smoking.

“Immediately, smoke starts billowing from around the student,” principal Jeff Rodman told the Portland Press Herald. “She knew right away something was wrong and, in a panic, knew her pants were on fire caused by the cellphone.”

Rodman said teachers grabbed a blanket while the girl scrambled to the corner of the room to free herself of the burning jeans. He said the phone was “visibly burnt.”

The principal says emergency crews praised the student for doing the “stop, drop and roll” move which helped put out the fire.

The York County Coast Star says Principal Rodman notified parents that the student was assisted by students and staff, treated by an emergency crew, and transported to Southern Maine Health Care Center. She later returned to class.

Officials believe the phone shorted out when she sat down with it in her back pocket.

 

Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.