Welding blamed in Strip fire


Welders' sparks were blamed for igniting a large block of insulation at a casino construction site Wednesday.

The fire sent dark smoke billowing over the Strip and sparked a brief two-alarm call for firefighters to respond to the high-rise Fontainebleu-Las Vegas building site, a fire official said.

No injuries were reported after the 2 p.m. fire, which was quickly doused and did not damage the building, fire spokesman Scott Allison said.

"Lots of smoke. Impressive looking. But not a lot of fire."

Nevada state Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Clark County fire investigators were probing the fire, which Allison said burned part of a block of plastic and rubberized insulation material about the size of a tractor-trailer.

The $2.8 billion Fontainebleau is due to open in late 2009 with almost 4,000 hotel rooms, condominiums, a casino and spa.

 

Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.