(BPT) - A family feast for the record books, too much tailgating, a stressful day at the office, an allergic flare-up or just a change in your routine – no matter the cause, you’ve likely had to cope with digestive health issues at some point. For some, they’re an occasional occurrence. For many, they’re a regular or even daily disruption that can be uncomfortable, bothersome and embarrassing.
Digestive health plays a major role in achieving overall health and wellness, and according to digestive health expert and author, Dr. Steven Lamm, understanding how to manage digestive health issues is the best way to achieve long-lasting relief and overall health and wellness.
Take care of your gut and it will take care of you
The digestive system, also referred to as the gut, is a unique and perfectly created system that, when impaired, can increase risk of developing infectious, inflammatory and functional GI diseases, as well as immune-mediated and metabolic disorders. Good digestive health is also recognized by many as being a requirement for overall good health.
"When we take care of our gut, we take a step toward achieving overall health and wellness," says Dr. Lamm. “However, many modern day triggers, such as stress, medication and foods low in nutrients, can cause problems that affect our day-to-day lives.”
These triggers disrupt the balance of the digestive system and manifest as many of the issues people experience, including:
* Heartburn/frequent heartburn
* Irritable bowel syndrome
According to Dr. Lamm, it is also important to know that some digestive health issues can be caused by underlying conditions or even genetics. If digestive health issues are persistent, worsen, or are accompanied by blood, unexplained weight loss or loss of appetite, a physician should be consulted.
Getting to the gut of the problem
For many, navigating the world of digestive health can be overwhelming. How do you determine what your specific problem is and what might be triggering the issues? And how do you figure out which available treatment may help manage the issues?
When trying to understand and seek the best course of action, Lamm suggests keeping in mind the following tips:
1. Be aware of the existence of issues; your digestive health should be seamless
2. Pay attention to your body and triggers; know how to identify and self-diagnose
3. Establish an easy fiber routine, such as including Benefiber(R) in your diet, to help maintain a healthy digestive system
4. Use appropriate over-the-counter medications to help manage digestive health issues, such as Prevacid(R)24HR for frequent heartburn, Gas-X(R) for gas and bloating
5. Consult a physician if issues are persistent, worsening, or if there is bleeding, unexplained weight loss or loss of appetite
For more on Dr. Lamm’s digestive health information and tips, visit www.easiertodigest.com.