While it’s fun to explore the distant corners of the world, American travelers shouldn’t miss the opportunity to experience the richly diverse and historic attractions of their own home country. A Washington D.C tour, for example, is an essential educational and inspirational experience. Exploring the nation’s capital and the surrounding area makes for a memorable trip sure to stir feelings of pride.
The area has a virtually endless supply of sites to see and experiences to enjoy, so it’s important to have a bit of guidance when choosing what to do. A Washington D.C. tour like those offered by Tauck is one solution that allows you to see the highlights of the region at a reasonable cost – as much as 40 percent less than what you would pay if traveling and arranging everything on your own. Tours allow you to skip the stress of planning and instead, focus on delving into the travel experience.
These are just some of the mustn’t-be-missed sights for any Washington D.C. tour:
1. Capitol Hill – Take a peek into the heart of the nation’s government.
2. The war memorials – Sites dedicated to those who fought and sacrificed for their country in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War.
3. The National Mall – From the Lincoln Memorial to the Washington Monument, some of America’s most iconic sites are located along the Mall.
4. Georgetown – Stroll through one of the city’s most historic districts, situated along the banks of the Potomac.
5. Museums – From the National Gallery of Art to the National Museum of the American Indian, Washington’s supply of museums is second-to-none.
While Washington D.C. itself is compact, there is plenty to see in the region surrounding the city. Be sure that during any Washington D.C. tour you consider, these destinations are included:
1. Philadelphia – The “City of Brotherly Love” is central to America’s history. See the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, and enjoy the beauty of the historic district on a horse-drawn carriage ride.
2. Gettysburg – The Civil War stands as one of the most dramatic events in American history, and there is no better place to be immersed in its tragic story than at the famed battlefields of Gettysburg.
3. Colonial Williamsburg – This fascinating living museum experience immerses you in a recreated world of 18th century America.
4. Jamestown, Virginia - This historic site was the first permanent English colony to be established in America. A guided lecture and visits to its exhibits illustrates how diverse cultures, from Native Americans to European settlers, converged and interacted with each other here.
5. Mount Vernon – The beloved estate and home of George Washington makes a wonderful excursion from Washington D.C. Explore the interactive museum, manor and grounds and imagine what life was like for America’s first president.
A Washington D.C. tour is something that no traveler should miss. With help from the expert tour planners at Tauck, you’ll be able to enjoy unique experiences that you might miss when traveling on your own. For more information, visit Tauck online.