MICAH ROBERTS’ SPRINT CUP DRIVER RATINGS
Toyota/Save Mart 350
Sonoma Raceway, Sonoma, Calif.
Noon today, TNT (18); race starts at 12:15 p.m.
Rating Driver Odds Practice 1 Practice 2 Qualified Sonoma ’12*
1. Juan Pablo Montoya 12/1 2nd 5th 13th 34th 2007 winner; lone two Cup wins have come on road courses; Monaco Grand Prix winner
2. Marcos Ambrose 7/2 1st 8th 2nd 8th Eighth or better in past four starts; elite road driver; won past two Watkins Glen races
3. Clint Bowyer 12/1 8th 1st 5th 1st 2012 winner; three other fourth-place finishes in seven starts; fast in practice
4. Kurt Busch 10/1 4th 7th 7th 3rd 2011 winner; third last season; will be third consecutive race driving for different team
5. Tony Stewart 7/1 14th 16th 11th 2nd Two-time winner, last in 2005; seven road-course wins second most in NASCAR history
6. Jeff Gordon 7/1 11th 10th 10th 6th Five-time winner, last in 2006; nine road-course wins are most in NASCAR history
7. Jamie McMurray 40/1 5th 2nd 1st 19th Career-best second in 2004; great practice with setup similar to teammate Montoya’s
8. Jimmie Johnson 7/1 21st 18th 19th 5th 2010 winner; turned himself into good road racer; seventh or better in past four starts
9. Kyle Busch 12/1 18th 3rd 9th 17th 2008 winner, his only top-five finish in eight starts; also won at Watkins Glen in 2008
10. Greg Biffle 40/1 6th 6th 4th 7th Accomplished road racer; practiced well Friday; using 2012 Sonoma chassis
* Results from the June 24, 2012, race at Sonoma
Note: This is the first of two road-course races on the season, with the other at Watkins Glen. Sonoma is the more technical course of the two with a 1.99-mile, 10-turn layout that includes elevation changes.
Odds courtesy of the LVH
Micah Roberts, a former sports book director, has been setting NASCAR lines in Las Vegas since 1995. For more of Roberts’ insights on the race, go to the Linemakers on SportingNews.com or follow him on Twitter: @Micah Roberts7.