A judge Monday ordered former NBA all-star Antoine Walker to face trial on felony bad check charges that allege he failed to repay almost $1 million in gambling debts and penalties to three Las Vegas casinos.
The 33-year-old Walker said nothing as he appeared Monday with his lawyer, Jonathan Powell, before Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melanie Andress-Tobiasson. Walker remains free without bail until his June 30 arraignment in state court.
The judge said that Walker had not made any progress repaying some $770,000 he owes on a promise last November to pay $905,050 in restitution, court fees and penalties.
At the time, Walker forfeited toward that amount the $135,000 cash bail he posted after his arrest at a celebrity golf tournament in July in Lake Tahoe.
Andress-Tobiasson bound Walker over for trial in Clark County District Court on three criminal bad check charges that, combined, could get him probation or send him to prison for up to 12 years if he is convicted.
Walker and his lawyer did not comment .
Bernie Zadrowski, chief of the Clark County district attorneys bad check unit, said outside court that Walkers Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing last month in Florida complicated the Las Vegas criminal case.
The charges stem from $1 million in casino markers that Walker used between July 2008 and January 2009 at Caesars Palace, Planet Hollywood and the Red Rock Resort. Nevada law treats unpaid markers as bad checks, and they can be turned over to the district attorney for prosecution.
Walkers bankruptcy filing claims $12.7 million in liabilities and $4.3 million in assets, including the 2006 NBA championship ring he won with the Miami Heat.
Walker, a Chicago native, was a three-time all-star with the Boston Celtics before going to Miami. He has not played in the NBA since 2008 but played briefly in Puerto Rico during the 2009-10 season.