MEXICO CITY -- All nine Mexican first-division soccer games this weekend will be played behind closed doors, a move aimed at stemming the spread of swine flu.
Three games last weekend around the capital were played without fans. The Mexican Football Federation said Tuesday it is closing off all games with the outbreak continuing to spread.
CONCACAF, soccer's governing body in North and Central America and the Caribbean, also said it is postponing its Beach Soccer Championship, which was scheduled to begin today in Puerto Vallarta.
The announcement came a day after the organization canceled the remainder of its under-17 tournament "to safeguard the health of players, officials and fans." The semifinals, featuring Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico and the United States, had been scheduled for today in Tijuana.