When Demetrius Andrade says something, it would be wise not to doubt him.
The 25-year-old junior middleweight from Providence, R.I., said he would box in the Olympics, and he competed in the 2008 Games in Beijing. He also said he would be a world champion, and he became the WBO junior middleweight champ when he defeated Vanes Martirosyan by split decision Nov. 9.
Andrade (20-0, 13 knockouts) was in Las Vegas last week to spar with Shawn Porter at Mayweather Boxing Club. Porter faces IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander on Dec. 7 in Brooklyn, N.Y.
“It was a beautiful feeling to get my hand raised,” Andrade said. “I always believed in myself, and I knew if I worked hard, stayed positive and did what I was supposed to, that good things would happen.”
Andrade, promoted by Banner Promotions, is expected to return to the ring in early 2014 in a mandatory title defense against Brian Rose (25-1-1, seven KOs), the WBO Intercontinental champ. Negotiations are taking place between Banner and Rose’s team.
Andrade said he’s looking forward to that first defense.
“I plan to hang on to the belt for a while,” he said. “I worked too hard to get it.”
That’s why he was quickly back in the gym after his win over Martirosyan, who knocked Andrade down in the first round before losing the fight.
“It didn’t faze me,” he said of touching the canvas for the first time as a pro. “I composed myself and got back to the game plan. I knew he wasn’t better than me, and I was proud that I was able to get through it and go on and win the fight.”
While Andrade waits to fight Rose, his plan is to stay in the gym and keep working with his father and trainer, Paul.
“I love being in the gym,” he said. “I know there’s always room for improvement. Every day, I can learn. But I’ll be ready. Just make the fight.”
■ CANELO’S NEXT FIGHT — Former junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will return to the ring March 8 at the MGM Grand Garden against an opponent to be determined. The fight will be televised on Showtime Pay Per View.
In his latest fight, Alvarez (42-1-1, 30 KOs) lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Sept. 14 at the MGM Grand.
“Canelo has established himself as a Las Vegas headliner, and he enjoys fighting at the MGM,” Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said. “We have a great working relationship with the MGM, and we will continue to do business with them.”
Miguel Cotto has been offered more than $10 million to take the fight. If he says no, other possible opponents are IBF junior middleweight champion Carlos Molina and Alfredo Angulo, who lost to Erislandy Lara in June in a fight for the interim WBA junior middleweight belt.
“We hope to have Canelo’s opponent named in the next couple of weeks,” Schaefer said.
Alvarez plans to fight three times in 2014.
■ AMATEUR CARD — The North Las Vegas Center Ring Boxing Club will host an amateur card Dec. 14 at 2516 Losee Road. The 20-fight card will begin at 2:30 p.m. Admission is $10.
Contact reporter Steve Carp at email@example.com or 702-287-2913. Follow him on Twitter @stevecarprj.