UNLV and Texas Christian, aided by strong winds blowing out to left field, each scored four runs in the first inning Saturday, but the Rebels couldn't keep pace from there in losing 16-12 at Wilson Stadium.
The Horned Frogs scored two runs in the second, three in the third and five in the fourth to take a 14-5 lead. The Rebels (14-25, 3-8 Mountain West Conference) rallied but still lost their sixth straight game.
Efren Navarro Jr. had a three-run double in the first for UNLV, and Keith Smith homered to spark a five-run seventh. Navarro finished 2-for-4 with three RBIs and three runs.
Clint Arnold went 3-for-6 with six RBIs, including a three-run homer and a two-run homer, for the Horned Frogs (26-9, 9-1).
• UNLV MEN'S GOLF -- At Tempe, Ariz., the sixth-ranked Rebels shot 4-under-par 284 in the second round of the 16-team Thunderbird Invitational, putting them in a tie for seventh with Oklahoma at 7-under 569.
Oregon shot 9-under 279 to remain in first at 20-under 556, paced by individual leader Derek Sipe, who shot 6-under 66 for a 13-under 131 total.
UNLV's Jarred Texter (69) was tied for seventh at 5-under 139.
• UNLV WOMEN'S TENNIS -- At San Diego, the Rebels, ranked 60th, lost to No. 27 Brigham Young, 4-3.
UNLV (16-6, 5-2 Mountain West Conference) took two of three doubles matches for the first point, with No. 16 Elena Gantcheva and Kristina Nedeltcheva improving to 20-2.
But the Cougars (18-6, 7-1) won four of six singles matches, including breaking Gantcheva's eight-match win streak at No. 1 singles, with Anastasia Surkova posting a 7-6, 6-1 win.
• UNLV MEN'S TENNIS -- At Fort Worth, Texas, the Rebels lost to Texas Christian, 4-3.
TCU took two of three doubles matches for the first point, then held off UNLV (9-13, 2-3 Mountain West) in singles.
Brett Hunter (No. 4), David Campbell (No. 5) and Luca Barlocchi (No. 6) had singles wins for the Rebels.
• UNLV TRACK -- At Long Beach, Calif., Meia Tezeno won the long jump at the Vs Athletics Invitational with an NCAA regional qualifying jump of 20 feet, 3 inches.
Tezeno also won the 100-meter hurdles (14.29) and was second in the 100 dash (12.02).
Among several top-five finishes, the Rebels also got strong efforts from Talyah Polee (second, long jump) and Aja Evans (second, shot put).
On Friday at the Mt. Sac Relays in Walnut, Calif., Charlotte Browning took fourth in the 1,500 with a regional qualifying time of 4:22.22.
• UNLV SOFTBALL -- At Fort Collins, Colo., trailing 5-4, the Rebels scored seven runs in the seventh inning to take an 11-5 victory over Colorado State.
The Rams (23-19, 2-1 Mountain West) had two errors early in the seventh, with one allowing Brittany Meade to score what proved to be the winning run. Later in the inning, Jaci Hull hit a three-run homer for UNLV (29-17, 5-1).
• CCSN BASEBALL -- The Coyotes swept a doubleheader with Eastern Utah, 7-4 and 12-2, at Morse Stadium, extending their winning streak to nine games.
In the opener, Ty Manumaleuna homered for the sixth straight game for CCSN (34-13, 24-8 Scenic West Athletic Conference).
In the second game, J.C. Leach was 3-for-4 with three RBIs. Manumaleuna had his home run streak halted but went 2-for-4 with four RBIs.
• CCSN SOFTBALL -- The Coyotes swept Colorado Northwestern 9-0 and 5-1 at the Russel Road Recreation Complex.
Giovanna Guzman threw a three-hitter for CCSN (27-11, 23-9 Scenic West) in the opener, and Kelly Griego and Summer Holyoak homered.
Griego then struck out 10 in a complete-game win to cap the doubleheader. Magan Nieman went 3-for-3 with a homer.