Members of the Fiji national rugby sevens team visited Schorr Elementary School on Jan. 21 for a pep assembly to celebrate the school’s participation in the annual Adopt-A-Country program coordinated by USA Sevens Rugby and the Clark County School District.
The assembly included a lineup of events as students celebrated their connection to Fiji over the past few months. Assembly activities included an introduction of the Fiji rugby sevens team by coach Ben Ryan, a relay race with Fiji players and Schorr students and teachers and an autograph and picture session with Fiji players. Schorr students also showcased the Fiji cultures learned during the Adopt-A-Country activities with a gift presentation to the team.
The Adopt-A-Country program pairs nations competing in the USA Sevens International Rugby Tournament with 16 Clark County School District schools. Students at each school study their respective nation throughout the program to learn about that country’s culture, geography, citizens and history. The program also incorporates creative and interactive elements, including rugby clinics with certified USA Rugby instructors, an essay contest and a T-shirt design competition.
The schools and rugby teams participating in the 2014 Adopt-A-Country program include:
- Carl Elementary School/France
- Dailey Elementary School/Portugal
- Dean Peterson/ Kenya
- Derfelt Elementary School/United States
- Fitzgerald Elementary School/Spain
- Gibson Middle School/Scotland
- Taylor Elementary School/United States
- Hayes Elementary School/ England
- Mack Middle School/ Uruguay
- Scott Elementary School/Wales
- Monaco Middle School/Canada
- Paradise Professional Development Elementary School/South Africa
- Schorr Elementary School/Fiji
- Squires Elementary School/Australia
- Wengert Elementary School/Argentina
The USA Sevens Rugby Tournament is set to begin with the Parade of Nations and opening ceremonies at the Fremont Street Experience at 6:30 pm. Jan. 23. The rugby action is slated to start at Sam Boyd Stadium at 4 p.m. Jan. 24 and run through the weekend until a champion is crowned on Jan. 26. Tickets can be purchased at www.usasevens.com/las-vegas/tickets/.