In Your Neighborhood
- A tree lighting, strolling carolers and a performance by Frankie Moreno are scheduled during a free holiday kickoff at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 29 at The District at Green Valley Ranch, 2240 Village Walk Drive. Visit shopthedistrictgvr.com.
- The holiday performance “Sparkle and Spice” is scheduled at 2 p.m. Dec. 1 at Sun City MacDonald Ranch, 2020 W. Horizon Ridge Parkway. Tickets are $10. Call 702-804-8714.
- The eighth annual Do-It-Yourself Fundraiser is scheduled at 7 p.m. Dec. 4 at Green Valley Presbyterian Church, 1798 Wigwam Parkway. The event is scheduled to include entertainment from choirs and orchestras. Tickets are $12. Visit greenvalleypres.com.
- Works by artist Jim Longwell are scheduled to be on display through Nov. 29 at The Gallery at the Henderson Multigenerational Center, 250 S. Green Valley Parkway. Longwell uses a technique called encaustic, a medium in which beeswax is applied using a torch and a heat gun. Visit cityofhenderson.com/parks.
- E-String Grill & Poker Bar, 2031 W. Sunset Road, offers live entertainment several days a week. Visit estringlive.com.
- The Henderson farmers market is scheduled from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursdays at the Henderson Events Plaza, 200 S. Water St. Admission is free. Visit hendersonlive.com.
- The Country Fresh farmers market is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Fridays at the Henderson Pavilion, 200 S. Green Valley Parkway. Admission is free.
- Gina Mele is scheduled to talk with visitors about the Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 4 at the Green Valley Library, 2797 N. Green Valley Parkway. The program is to feature a 20-minute presentation and an information table. Visit mypubliclibrary.org.
- A photo showcase featuring entries from the Desert Companion’s Focus on Nevada Photo Contest is scheduled to tour the valley. Its first stop is Green Valley Library, 2797 N. Green Valley Parkway, where photos are set to remain on display through Dec. 31. Visit mypubliclibrary.org.
Worth a Drive
- Members of the Southern Nevada Chapter of the American Guild of Organists are set to perform an Advent-Christmas recital at 4 p.m. Dec. 1 at Christ Church Episcopal, 2000 S. Maryland Parkway. Admission is free. Visit sncago.org or call 702-735-7655.
- The Desert Chorale’s 28th annual Christmas Celebration Concert with special guests the Nevada Pops is scheduled at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 2 at Artemus W. Ham Concert Hall at UNLV, 4505 S. Maryland Parkway. Admission is free. Visit pac.unlv.edu or call 702-895-2787.
- The Neon Bazaar, a shop local event set to feature wares from more than 50 retailers, is scheduled from noon to 6 p.m. Nov. 30 at Jackie Gaughan Plaza, adjacent to the El Cortez, 600 Fremont St. Visit neonbazaarlv.com.
- Desert Skye Pipes & Drums is set to perform a Celtic thanksgiving concert from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Nov. 30 at the Clark County Library, 1401 E. Flamingo Road. Admission is free. Visit desertskye.org.
- Bass Pro Shops, 8200 Dean Martin Drive, is set to host Santa’s Wonderland through Dec. 24 with free photos with Santa Claus, crafts and games. Visit tinyurl.com/7ho22a2.
- A fundraiser to assist Denise Clemente, who is recovering from a serious medical condition, is scheduled at 1 p.m. Dec. 1 at the Railhead at Boulder Station, 4111 Boulder Highway. The event, sponsored by the Showbiz Society, is set to feature a silent auction, followed by live entertainment. Tickets are $25. Call 702-877-2278.
- Local students are set to perform Holiday Nights & Lights community concerts from 6 to 7 p.m. Thursdays, through Dec. 19, at Town Square Las Vegas, 6605 Las Vegas Blvd. South. Visit mytownsquarelasvegas.com.
- The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is set to perform at 3 and 8 p.m. Nov. 30 at the Orleans Arena, 4500 W. Tropicana Ave. Tickets start at $35. Visit orleanscasino.com.
- “Pow Wow Portraits,” an exhibition of large-format photographs by Lamar Marchese, is set to be on display through Jan. 5 at the Clark County Library, 1401 E. Flamingo Road. Visit lvccld.org or call 702-507-3400.
- An Evening of Pop and Doo Wop is set for 7:30 p.m. Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 at the Suncoast Showroom, 9090 Alta Drive. Tickets start at $15.95. Call 702-636-7075 or visit suncoastcasino.com.
- Santa’s Arrival and Parade is planned for 10:30 a.m. Nov. 29 on main street at Tivoli Village, 302 S. Rampart Blvd. Visit tivolivillagelv.com.
- Village Square, 9400 W. Sahara Ave., plans to kick off the holiday season with an inaugural tree lighting from 4 to 6 p.m. Nov. 30 with musical performances by Las Vegas Academy and Our Lady of Las Vegas Roman Catholic choir. The event follows Village Square’s Light the Menorah celebration of Hanukkah set for sundown Nov. 27. Visit govillagesquare.com.
- The Youth Educational Spaceship Project, a collaboration between Las Vegas’ Downtown Project and the Burning Man Project, includes a whimsical spacecraft adorned with recycled mosaics, blinking lights, a fog machine and robotic voice synthesizer. The Y.E.S. Project, created by artists Dana Albany and Kal Spelletich, is set to offer free tours and interactive workshops from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 30, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 1-6 and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 7. Closing ceremonies, from 4 to 7 p.m. Dec. 8, are scheduled to include a local children’s art show. Free passes — based at the Learning Village, 727 Fremont St. — may be reserved at tinyurl.com/spaceartlasvegas.
- Learn to write in elvish, enjoy a second-breakfast snack and take part in crafts and activities during a Hobbit Holiday scheduled from 4 to 5 p.m. Dec. 5 at the Green Valley Library, 2797 N. Green Valley Parkway. Participation is free0 but limited to 24 children. Sign up at 3:45 p.m. at the youth services desk. Visit mypubliclibrary.org or call 702-207-4260. n WaterDay Street Market is scheduled to return from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 7 at the Henderson Events Plaza, 200 S. Water St. The free event is slated to include entertainment, food vendors and arts and crafts. Visit hendersonlive.com.
- A Winter Festival with entertainment, bounce houses, craft vendors and food is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 7 at McDoniel Elementary School, 1831 Fox Ridge Drive. Admission is free.
- The Henderson Symphony Orchestra is scheduled to play at 7 p.m. Dec. 12 at the Henderson Convention Center, 200 S. Water St. Admission is free. Visit hendersonlive.com.
- Heritage Street Holidays, a re-creation of festive traditions throughout local history, is scheduled from 5 to 8 p.m. Dec. 13-14 at the Clark County Museum, 1830 S. Boulder Highway. Volunteers dress up in period attire and welcome visitors to decorated homes along the museum’s Heritage Street. Admission is free after 5 p.m. Visit clarkcountynv.gov.
- Henderson WinterFest is scheduled from 6 to 9 p.m. Dec. 13 and noon to 8 p.m. Dec. 14 at the Henderson Events Plaza, 200 S. Water St. Visit hendersonlive.com. n Henderson singer/songwriter Annie Meadows’ 10th annual concert, One Christmas Night, is scheduled at 7 p.m. Dec. 14 at The Westin Lake Las Vegas, 101 Montelago Blvd. Admission is free. Visit faithrunner.org. n Fern Adair Conservatory of the Arts, 3265 E. Patrick Lane, plans Holiday performances of “A Fairy Tale Christmas” at 2 p.m. Dec. 14-15 at the Children’s Theatre Workshop at the conservatory’s Studio D. Tickets are $3. The show is scheduled to feature many well-known fairy tale characters, such as the three little pigs, the big, bad wolf, Cinderella and the fairy godmother. Call 702-458-7575 to reserve tickets.