Players turned away at WSOP

World Series of Poker officials blame the Fourth of July holiday for the reduced number of entries in this year’s main event.

Don’t expect tournament planners to make the same mistake next year, though.

The $10,000 no-limit Texas hold ’em World Championship drew 6,494 entries, official said after figures for the four-day opening round were added up Monday night,. That was 350 fewer players than a year ago.

However, more than 500 potential participants were turned away Monday on the final opening day because tournament officials said the Rio had already reached its seating capacity. Many players competed on tables set up outside of the Rio’s tournament poker room inside the resort’s convention pavilion.

"There is no question that our strong preference was to have a bigger main event this year if possible," said Harrah’s Entertainment Vice President Jeffrey Pollack, who serves as the commissioner of the World Series of Poker. "We tried to accommodate every player we could, so it was disappointing in that sense. We simply ran out of space."

Pollack said tournament officials will examine what happened with the main event’s opening four days this year when planning 2010 . Still, with more than 60,000 players competing in 57 events over the past six weeks, Pollack termed the 2009 World Series of Poker a success.

"We never want to be in the business of turning people away," he said. "There was plenty of opportunity to play in the main event."

The main event’s opening round was expanded to four days a few years ago to accommodate a growing field. On Monday, 2,809 players took part in the tournament.

Among the more than 500 players rejected were some top professional poker players, including five-time gold bracelet winner Ted Forrest and six-time gold bracelet winner T.J. Cloutier. Hundreds of hopefuls waited in the hallways at the Rio to see if they could get into the tournament, which had plenty of seats available during its first three opening days.

On Friday, 1,116 players participated in the tournament, but only 873 signed up to play on Saturday, July 4th. On Sunday, 1,696 players competed.

Tournament officials warned on Sunday that they expected the event to sell out on Monday.

This year’s champion in the main event will take home almost $8.55 million. Last year, 22-year-old Peter Eastgate of Denmark won $9.15 million.

The nine players who reach the final table in this year’s main event will each take home more than $1 million. This year’s main event will pay 648 places.

"This is only the second time in the tournament’s history that all nine players at the final table are guaranteed $1 million," Pollack said.

Players will compete over the next week to whittle down the field. The final table of nine will be determined July 15, and the players will return to the Rio in November to play for the title.

On Tuesday, players who survived Friday and Saturday’s opening rounds competed while Sunday’s and Monday’s competitors will play today.

Fourteen former champions of the World Series of Poker, including Eastgate, survived the first day and will advance to the next round.

Moving into the second day of competition is CityCenter Chief Executive Officer Bobby Baldwin, who took time away from his job duties at the MGM Mirage-owned $8.5 billion development Monday to play in the main event.

Baldwin won the World Series of Poker in 1978 when he was known as "The Owl," the quiet and studious professional poker player from Oklahoma. When he won the title at Binion’s Horseshoe, he beat a field of 42 players to win $210,000.

Baldwin has won four World Series of Poker bracelets, his last coming in 1978. The last time he cashed in a World Series of Poker event was 1994, when he finished 24th in the main event, winning $16,800.

Baldwin had 70,900 in tournament chips, the 305th best of Monday’s competitors. Players were given 30,000 in tournament chips to begin play.

Some celebrities still alive in the main event were actresses Jennifer Tilly and Shannon Elizabeth, actors Brad Garrett, Jason Alexander, Lou Diamond Phillips and Marlon Wayans and Jordan Farmar of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Contact reporter Howard Stutz at hstutz@reviewjournal.com or 702-477-3871.

ad-high_impact_4
Business
Bellagio, MGM Resorts International’s luxury hotel turns 20 – Tara Mack
The more than 3,000-room Bellagio hotel is situated on the site of the former Dunes Hotel. The Dunes was imploded in 1993, and construction of the Bellagio started in 1996. It cost $1.6 billion to build, making it the most expensive hotel in the world at the time. The Bellagio was former Wynn Resorts Ltd. Chairman and CEO Steve Wynn’s second major casino on the Strip after The Mirage. MGM Resorts International acquired the property from Steve Wynn in 2000. (Tara Mack/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Facial recognition software at G2E – Todd Prince
Shing Tao, CEO of Las Vegas-based Remark Holdings, talks about his facial recognition product. (Todd Prince/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Former NBA player, Shaquille O'Neal, speaks about his new Las Vegas chicken restaurant
Former NBA player, Shaquille O'Neal, speaks about his new Las Vegas chicken restaurant. Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal @bizutesfaye
Bobby Baldwin to leave MGM
MGM Resorts International executive and professional poker player Bobby Baldwin is set to leave MGM.
Caesars has new armed emergency response teams
Caesars Entertainment Corp. has created armed emergency response teams. They are composed of former military and law enforcement officials. "These teams provide valuable additional security capabilities,” Caesars spokeswoman Jennifer Forkish said. Caesars is hiring Security Saturation Team supervisors, managers and officers, according to LinkedIn. The company did not say how many people it plans to hire for the units. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Las Vegas, airlines prepare for CES
CES in January is expected to attract more than 180,000 attendees. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
AGS partners with Vegas Golden Knights
AGS is the nation’s second-largest manufacturer of Class II slot machines used primarily in tribal jurisdictions. It announced a marketing partnership with the Vegas Golden Knights NHL team. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Lehman Brothers bet big on Las Vegas
Lehman Brothers collapsed 10 years ago, helping send the country into the Great Recession.
Fremont9 opens downtown
Fremont9 apartment complex has opened in downtown Las Vegas. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
Ross & Snow launches in Las Vegas
Luxury shoe brand Ross & Snow has opened in Las Vegas, featuring "functional luxury" with premium shearling footwear. (Bailey Schulz/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Remote Identification and Drones
DJI vice president of policy and public affairs discusses using remote identification on drones. (Bailey Schulz/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Drones and public safety in Nevada
Two representatives in the drone industry discuss UAV's impact on public safety. (Bailey Schulz/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Frontier Airlines to launch flights from Las Vegas to Mexico
Frontier, a Denver-based ultra-low-cost carrier, will become the first airline in more than a decade to offer international service to Canada and Mexico from Las Vegas when flights to Cancun and Los Cabos begin Dec. 15. (Rick Velotta/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
MGM Resorts International CEO Jim Murren addresses Oct. 1 lawsuits
MGM Resorts International Chairman and CEO Jim Murren addresses criticism his company has received for filing a lawsuit against the survivors of the Oct. 1 shooting. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
MGM Resorts International opens the doors on MGM Springfield
Massachusetts’ first hotel-casino opens in downtown Springfield. The $960 million MGM Springfield has 252 rooms and 125,000-square-feet of casino. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
MGM Resorts International prepares to open MGM Springfield
Las Vegas-based MGM Resorts International gave news media and invited guests a preview of the $960 million MGM Springfield casino in Massachusetts. The commonwealth's first resort casino will open Friday, Aug. 24. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
A Walk Through Circus Circus
It only takes a short walk through Circus Circus to realize it attracts a demographic like no other casino on the Strip: families with young children. (Todd Prince/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Morphy Auctions, a vintage slot machines seller, wants gaming license
Vice president Don Grimmer talks about Morphy Auctions at the company's warehouse located at 4520 Arville Street in Las Vegas on Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018. (Rick Velotta/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Nevada's venture capital money doesn't stay in state
Zach Miles, associate vice president for economic development for UNLV, said there’s venture money in Southern Nevada, “but trying to find the right groups to tap into for that money is different.” According to a 2017 report from the Kauffman Foundation, Las Vegas ranked number 34 out of 40 metropolitan areas for growth entrepreneurship, a metric of how much startups grow. With a lack of growing startups in Las Vegas, investment money is being sent outside of state borders. The southwest region of the U.S. received $386 million in funding in the second quarter, with about $25.2 million in Nevada. The San Francisco area alone received about $5.6 billion. (source: CB Insights)
Neon wraps can light up the night for advertising
Vinyl wrap company 5150 Wraps talks about neon wraps, a new technology that the company believes can boost advertising at night. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
Nevada on the forefront of drone safety
Dr. Chris Walach, senior director of Nevada Institute for Autonomous Systems, talks to a reporter at NIAS's new Nevada Drone Center for Excellence of Public Safety, located inside the Switch Innevation Center in Las Vegas. K.M. Cannon Las Vegas Review-Journal @KMCannonPhoto
Motel 8 on south Strip will become site of hotel-casino
Israeli hoteliers Asher Gabay and Benny Zerah bought Motel 8 on the south Strip for $7.4 million, records show. They plan to bulldoze the property and build a hotel-casino. Motel 8 was built in the 1960s and used to be one of several roadside inns on what's now the south Strip. But it looks out of place today, dwarfed by the towering Mandalay Bay right across the street.
Project billed as one of the world's largest marijuana dispensaries plans to open Nov. 1
Planet 13 co-CEO Larry Scheffler talks about what to expect from the new marijuana dispensary, Thursday, July 19, 2018. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
Oasis Biotech opens in Las Vegas
Brock Leach, chief operating officer of Oasis Biotech, discusses the new plant factory at its grand opening on July 18. (Bailey Schulz/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
UNLV Tech Park innovation building breaks ground
Construction on the first innovation building at the UNLV Tech Park is underway. (Bailey Schulz/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
Add Event
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like