Club Paradise stripper, waitresses to remain free pending trial

A former Club Paradise stripper and three cocktail waitresses will not have to post bail on credit card fraud charges, a judge ruled Monday.

“It seems that the prosecution is angry at the defendants for not cooperating with the police in this investigation,” District Judge Jessie Walsh said. “They have no compelling obligation to do so.”

Walsh ruled that the women will remain free on their own recognizance while awaiting trial.

The long-running investigation found that men were charged upwards of $2.4 million for dances and drinks they never received at the club, prosecutors have alleged.

Credit card fraud escalated at Club Paradise after investigators warned management in January 2014 that its business license could be revoked, a Metro detective told a Clark County grand jury.

Court transcripts detailed how for the next six months club management and dancers used muscle and booze to get men to sign five-figure checks.

In delivering her ruling Monday, Walsh said prosecutor David Stanton “cites an abundance of evidence but provides me essentially nothing other than the charging document.”

Stanton pointed to grand jury testimony and a “massive dollar loss,” with charges “as simple (to prove) in some cases as watching it on video.”

Last month, the grand jury indicted waitresses Amy Rohr, 35, Chris Giraldo, 31, Diana Giraldo, 29, and dancers Cyndi Sellers, 25, and Celeste Mohar, 40. All five have pleaded not guilty to credit card fraud and conspiracy charges. Mohar, who is free on bail, was not in court Monday.

Defense lawyers have questioned why past owner Sam Cecola and his top manager at the club, Ryan Carlson, were not charged in the scam.

“I find it abhorrent that the club owner and none of the management of this club is standing in court at this time,” said attorney Michael Gowdey, who represents Rohr.

Testimony from one of the club’s former managers, John Richard Carcilli, indicated that Cecola knew what was going on and even took money from the dancers and waitresses. After the club was raided in June 2014, Cecola sued his former employees, saying he was forced to sell the business at a low rate because of the high-profile investigation.

Carcilli and two other dancers, Giovanna Chico and Bibi Rambharan, pleaded guilty to fraud charges under a sealed agreement with prosecutors, according to court records.

Sam Paik, who owns strip clubs in Atlantic City and Philadelphia, bought Club Paradise and reopened it six months after the raid. He redesigned the logo and said he has made meticulous efforts to ensure fraud does not occur under his watch.

Contact David Ferrara at dferrara@reviewjournal.com or 702-380-1039. Find @randompoker on Twitter.

ad-high_impact_4
Crime
Las Vegas judge’s ruling will halt tonight’s execution
On Wednesday Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez issued a ruling that will halt the execution of convicted murderer Scott Dozier. Alvogen Inc., which makes the sedative midazolam, filed a lawsuit Tuesday accusing the Nevada Department of Corrections of surreptitiously obtaining the drug for use in an execution.
3 people shot in southeast Las Vegas
Three men were shot Thursday night in southeast Las Vegas, and two of them have life threatening injuries. Las Vegas police responded to the incident just after 10 p.m. on the 5000 block of Mountain Vista Street. The investigation is in its early stages and police were unable to describe the suspect or say how man people they think were involved. Police encourage anyone with information regarding this shooting to call Crime Stoppers at 702-385-5555, or 3-1-1
Robbery suspects apprehended
Four robbery suspects were taken into custody Thursday morning after a vehicle and foot chase that ended in an east Las Vegas neighborhood. The incident began when a person was robbed at gunpoint around 4:45 a.m. near Maryland Parkway and Desert Inn. Officers arriving at the scene tried to stop two vehicles. One vehicle escaped but police chased the second into a neighborhood on Flamingo Road near Mountain Vista Street. Police surrounded the neighborhood and the suspects were apprehended. It looked like one police vehicle was involved in a collision with the suspects' car. One woman suffered an unknown injury and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. 01:04
Las Vegas police looking for robbery suspects
Two robbers who recently targeted three Las Vegas businesses remained at large Tuesday and police are asking the public to help identify them. (Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department)
Metro Capt. Jaime Prosser gives update of officer-involved shooting
Metro Capt. Jaime Prosser provides an update about an officer-involved shooting at Radwick Drive and Owens Avenue in the northeast Las Vegas on Thursday. A robbery suspect was shot and killed. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @bizutesfaye
LVMPD Looking For Robbery Suspect
The LVMPD Commercial Robbery Section is attempting to identify the pictured suspect who is responsible for committing robberies to businesses in the southern part of the Las Vegas Valley during the month of May 2018. The suspect enters the business, threatens the employee with a firearm and demands money from the register. The employee complies and the suspect flees the business.
North Las Vegas police are investigating a triple shooting that left one man dead
North Las Vegas police are investigating a triple shooting that left one man dead at 2500 block of Ellis St., on Friday, June 8, 2018. Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal @bizutesfaye
1 dead in shooting at southwest Las Vegas home
A dispute between roommates led to the fatal shooting of one man in the backyard of their southwest Las Vegas Valley home on Monday, April 23, 2018. (Rio Lacanlale/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
Add Event
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like