Ex-cop pleads guilty in attorney Quon suicide scheme

William Ronald Webb, the boyfriend of the late construction defects attorney Nancy Quon, pleaded guilty Tuesday in a failed suicide scheme involving Quon.

His plea closes the book on the bizarre scheme, which occurred two years ago in the middle of a sweeping federal investigation into corruption at valley homeowners associations.

Quon, 51, who was targeted in the ongoing investigation, took her own life earlier this year while facing criminal charges with Webb in the scheme. She was not charged at the time in the federal investigation.

Webb, 43, a former Las Vegas police officer, pleaded guilty Tuesday before District Judge Douglas Herndon to two felony drug charges. He also entered an Alford plea of guilty to insurance fraud stemming from a suspicious October 2010 fire set at Quon’s home in the complicated suicide plot.

The Alford plea means Webb didn’t admit guilt but acknowledged prosecutors could prove the insurance fraud charge against him.

According to his plea deal with prosecutors, Webb could receive up to six years in prison at his Feb. 7 sentencing.

His lawyer, Chris Oram, and Chief Deputy District Attorney Sandra DiGiacomo declined comment outside the courtroom.

Quon and Webb, who is free on bail, were first indicted by a county grand jury in April 2011 in connection with a bid to help Quon obtain drugs to kill herself.

Webb was charged with conspiracy to commit murder and unlawfully buying the club drug gamma-hydroxybutyric acid from undercover detectives in November 2010.

Las Vegas police contended Quon bankrolled the purchase of the drug, which the couple incorrectly thought would be undetectable in a suicide.

Authorities alleged that Quon wanted to kill herself to escape the pressure of the federal investigation, which has led to the convictions of 27 people. The corruption scheme is alleged to have involved stacking homeowners association boards with friendly members who would hand out legal work and construction defect contracts to co-conspirators.

In August 2011, the couple was indicted again, this time in a Quon suicide attempt tied to the fire at her Rhodes Ranch home. Arson and insurance fraud charges were included in that case, which accused Quon of setting the fire.

Quon denied trying to burn down the home, but she acknowledged taking sleeping pills and a high-alcohol energy drink before settling in her bathroom tub before the fire.

She was rescued from the smoke-filled house by Webb’s older brother, Daniel, who found her unconscious on a downstairs sofa.

Paramedics who revived Quon told a county grand jury that they thought she suffered a “narcotic overdose.”

In January, Herndon dismissed the arson indictment against the couple, but prosecutors appealed to the Nevada Supreme Court.

Herndon then halted the drug conspiracy case at the request of prosecutors while the Supreme Court took up the arson case.

As part of the plea agreement with Webb, prosecutors Tuesday agreed to drop the appeal of the arson case. They also agreed to dismiss the murder conspiracy charge against Webb in the drug case.

Months after Quon and Webb were charged in the arson case, Quon ended up killing herself. Her body was discovered in the bathtub of her Henderson condominium on March 20.

An empty bottle of red wine was found at the death scene, and in July, Clark County Coroner Michael Murphy ruled Quon’s death a suicide.

Murphy concluded that Quon died of drug and alcohol intoxication. Anti-anxiety and sleep medications were found in her system.

Contact reporter Jeff German at or 702-380-8135.

News Headlines
pos-2 — ads_infeed_1
post-4 — ads_infeed_2
Local Spotlight
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like