Homicide detectives will not make an arrest but instead will submit evidence to the Clark County district attorney’s office for review in the case of a man who died last week after being shot during a fight with another man, a Las Vegas police official said Thursday.
Homicide Lt. Ray Steiber said police are wrapping up their investigation into the June 15 shooting of Charles L. Allred Jr., 36. Allred was found dead about 8 a.m. in the yard of a home on the 300 block of View Drive near Jones Boulevard.
Steiber said Allred provoked the physical confrontation with the other man, who was not named. Allred left the home and returned with a revolver.
“The reality is, the victim (Allred) in the killing, he was the initiator of the struggle with the firearm,” Steiber said. “During the course of the struggle, one shot went off, and he ended up dead.”
The physical struggle didn’t last long and, at one point, at least one man fell to the ground.
Steiber said evidence indicates Allred never took his hands off the revolver.
He added that the facts of the case will be presented to the district attorney’s office, but Steiber did not have a timeline for when. Prosecutors then will determine whether the man involved in the struggle with Allred should be charged with a crime.
Steiber would not elaborate on the nature of the confrontation but said no crimes were committed before the shooting.
Several witnesses, including one who said he lived at the house, told the Review-Journal that Allred was upset after being kicked out of the house.
Allred founded and ran a local online marketing company called Frontline Media Group. According to his biography on the company’s website, he was a single father of two children.
He recently had alluded to financial troubles on his personal Facebook page.
Review-Journal reporter Kyle Potter contributed to this report. Contact reporter Antonio Planas at aplanas@
reviewjournal.com or 702-383-4638.