weather icon Clear

Coroner IDs Las Vegas 2-year-old believed stabbed to death by mom

The 2-year-old boy who police suspect was killed by his mother in a botched murder-suicide has been identified by the Clark County coroner’s office.

Martin Moises Velazquez died of multiple injuries, according to the coroner. His death was ruled a homicide.

His mother, 21-year-old Cristina Guadalupe Moya, was booked in absentia on a first-degree murder charge in the Clark County Detention Center on Monday evening.

Prosecutors had not charged Moya as of Wednesday afternoon, and she was denied bail, court records show.

The Metropolitan Police Department accused Moya of injuring and cutting her son and then turning a knife on herself in a south-central Las Vegas home.

A cousin of Moya’s requested a police check about 8 a.m. Monday because Moya hadn’t left a bedroom at the home in the 8600 block of Manalang Road since Sunday night, Metropolitan Police Department homicide Lt. Ray Spencer said at a Monday briefing. The boy’s grandfather was called to the home, near East Pebble Road and Pollock Drive, and he kicked in the door, Spencer later told the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Moya’s cousin told 911 dispatchers that the woman had said “I’m sorry” and admitted to cutting herself, according to Moya’s arrest report. When police arrived, the boy’s father and grandfather both thought the pair were dead. Moya’s cousin told police she admitted to hurting her son about 10 minutes before officers arrived.

Inside the home, officers found Martin and the woman, who was suffering from apparently self-inflicted stab wounds, Spencer said. First responders determined the boy was dead, the arrest report said.

Moya was taken to Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center, where she was in serious condition, he said.

Officers found multiple kitchen knives, razors and empty medication bottles in the room, including children’s medication, along with a note that Moya appeared to have written.

The woman’s cousin told investigators Moya had been “very depressed” and had “not been herself” since giving birth to the boy, Spencer said.

“It was just in the last couple of days apparently that (her) condition appeared to have worsened,” he said.

Martin’s father said Moya had “always suffered from depression” and recently thought her medication wasn’t working. The man last saw Martin about 7 p.m. Sunday when he dropped the boy back off with Moya after Martin had visited him, the report said.

Police were investigating the length of time between the stabbings and their discovery Monday morning.

Martin was the woman’s only child, and it didn’t appear she had a criminal history, Spencer said.

Martin’s death marks the ninth homicide investigated by Metro this year, according to Review-Journal records.

Contact Mike Shoro at mshoro@reviewjournal.com or 702-387-5290. Follow @mike_shoro on Twitter. Review-Journal staff writer Rio Lacanlale and Katelyn Newberg contributed to this report.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.