Suspect faces charge in multiple west Las Vegas standoffs

Updated August 10, 2017 - 5:03 pm

A 29-year-old man faces an assault with a deadly weapon charge after multiple standoffs at a west valley house that began Tuesday morning and lasted into Wednesday morning.

Jeffrey Tibbits was booked Wednesday into Clark County Detention Center, where he remained early Thursday. His bail was set at $5,000.

On Tuesday, Las Vegas police received the first call about 1:10 a.m. about a domestic dispute between a man and woman on the 7900 block of Decker Canyon Drive, near Buffalo and Vegas drives. Tibbits refused to come out of the apartment and officers left after taking a report, according to a Metropolitan Police Department arrest report obtained by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

The woman told police that Tibbits locked her out of the home after officers left, according to the report. The report said she stood outside for about six hours before picking the lock to the door with a butter knife, at which point she went inside and saw that Tibbits had destroyed some of her personal belongings.

The second call came about 7:30 a.m. from Tibbits, who told police the woman, his girlfriend of about six months, was possessed and that his neighbors were witches, according to the arrest report.

“If officers come there are going to be problems,” Tibbits said.

Officers set up a perimeter and tried to communicate with Tibbits, but he refused to respond. Officers cleared the scene about 12:30 p.m. without arresting anyone because they didn’t have enough evidence of a crime, Metro spokeswoman Laura Meltzer said.

About 2:30 p.m., the same man threatened to shoot the woman, Metro Lt. Grant Rogers said. Officers returned to the house, and he again refused to speak with police.

The woman told police that Tibbits told her he “can put one in you and one in me,” referring to bullets, the arrest report said.

The third incident also was treated as a barricade situation. Metro’s SWAT team responded.

Tibbits was taken into custody before 7 a.m. Wednesday.

When officers entered the apartment after Tibbits was already in custody, they saw “major damage throughout,” the arrest report said.

Two handguns also were found, police said.

Contact Mike Shoro at Follow @mike_shoro on Twitter. Review-Journal reporter Bianca Cseke contributed to this story.

News Headlines
Local Spotlight
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like