LOS ANGELES — The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce has firmly dispelled any rumors that Bill Cosby’s star would be removed from the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
The comedian was charged and booked Wednesday with sexually assaulting a woman in 2004. This marked the start of criminal proceedings after dozens of women have come forward in the last year to accuse the 78-year-old entertainer of drugging and raping them.
“The answer is no,” said Leron Gubler, Hollywood Chamber of Commerce president and CEO. “Once a star has been added to the Walk, it is considered a part of the historic fabric of theHollywood Walk of Fame. Because of this, we have never removed a star from the Walk.”
The late Johnny Grant, who chaired the Hollywood Walk of Fame Committee for a time, previously addressed the pressure to remove the stars dedicated to other actors.
“Stars are awarded for professional achievement to the world of entertainment and contributions to the community,” he said. “A celebrity’s politics, philosophy, irrational behavior, outrageous remarks or anything like that have never been cause to remove a Walk of Fame star.”