IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD
The Summerlin Library, 1771 Inner Circle Drive, plans to host Practicing Your eMedia Downloading Skills at 11 a.m. Dec. 18 and Feb. 26 and at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 24; a fiber arts workshop at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 6 and 20 and Feb. 3 and 17; and Downloading eBooks to Your iPad, Tablet, Kindle Fire, Nook Color at 10:30 a.m. Dec. 27, Jan. 3 and Feb. 14 and at 11 a.m. Jan. 15 and Feb. 5. Visit lvccld.org or call 702-507-3866.
Mountain View Presbyterian Church, 8601 Del Webb Blvd., plans to host a Service of Solace at 7 p.m. Dec. 18. Music, scripture and prayer is planned. Come light a candle in honor/memory of a loved one. Call 702-341-7800.
The musical comedy “It’s a Zombie Christmas” is planned for 7:30 and 9 p.m. Dec. 19 and 20 at Vegas 180 Night Scene, 6720 W. Sahara Ave., across from CarMax. Admission is $10, and a portion of the proceeds will benefit a women’s crisis shelter. All ages are welcome. Visit lasvegas180.com.
“One More Holiday With You” featuring Fifth Avenue and Dangerous Curves is planned for 7 p.m. Dec. 20 at the Starbright Theatre, 2215 Thomas W. Ryan Blvd. Tickets are $15. Call 702-240-1301.
Martin Nievera, the “Concert King of the Philippines,” is slated to perform in “Martin Nievera: A December to Remember” at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 20 and 21 at the Suncoast Showroom, 9090 Alta Drive. Tickets start at $15.95. Visit suncoastcasino.com or call 702-636-7075.
Mountain View Presbyterian Church, 8601 Del Webb Blvd., plans to host its annual Youth Christmas Party from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Dec. 21. Youths and their families will practice a play, “Bethlehem Bound,” during the first hour, which also will include games and crafts. They will perform the play and songs during the second hour. Snacks will be provided. Visit mviewpc.org or call 702-341-7800.
- The exhibit “Vegas Votes” by the Las Vegas News Bureau Archives is planned during regular hours through Feb. 3 at the Sahara West Library, 9600 W. Sahara Ave. Photographs from 1947-2014 include the categories of showgirls, entertainment, sports, hotel exteriors, pool scenes, gambling and recreation. The public is invited to vote for their favorite photographs to be featured in a 2015 exhibition at The Studio. Visit lvccld.org or call 702-507-3631.
- Matt Hennager plans to offer free guitar lessons for beginners from noon to 1 p.m. the first three Sundays of each month at the Sahara West Library, 9600 W. Sahara Ave. The next session is set for Dec. 21. Arrive 15 minutes early to tune your guitar. Call 720-533-3611.
- Mountain View Presbyterian Church, 8601 Del Webb Blvd., plans to host Christmas Eve candelight services at 7 and 9 p.m. Dec. 24. A worship service is planned for 9:30 a.m. Dec. 28. Visit mviewpc.org or call 702-341-7800.
- Tivoli Village, 440 S. Rampart Blvd., plans to host Santa Claus for photos from noon to 4 p.m. Fridays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sundays. Photo packages start at $5. Trackless train rides are offered for $3 per ride or $5 for two rides. Visit tivolivillagelv.com.
- Boca Park Fashion Village, 8950 W. Charleston Blvd., is hosting the Santa In The Store campaign through Dec. 24. Each day a small Boca Santa statue will be hidden in a different shop or restaurant, and the first person each day to find and post a photo of it with the hashtag #selfiewithBocaSanta will win a $100 gift card or certificate to the shop or restaurant in which Boca Santa was found. Visit facebook.com/bocaparklv.
- Downtown Summerlin, 1980 Festival Plaza Drive, plans to operate its outdoor ice skating rink, the Rock Rink, through mid-January from 4 to 9 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays; 4 to 10 p.m. Fridays; 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturdays; 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sundays; and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. school holidays. Holiday hours are set from 1 to 6 p.m. Dec. 24, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 31 and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Jan. 1. The rink will be closed Dec. 25. Skating is $15, including skate rental. The rink is on the northwest side of Downtown Summerlin off Rosemary Park Drive and Summa Drive. Call 702-832-1000 or visit downtownsummerlin.com.
HOLIDAY EVENTS AROUND THE VALLEY
- December to Remember events are scheduled in venues throughout the Las Vegas Cultural Corridor. The Las Vegas Library, 833 Las Vegas Blvd. North, plans a free concert at 1 p.m. Dec. 20 featuring performers from Las Vegas Academy. Visit lvccld.org or call 702-507-3512. The Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort State Historic Park, 500 E. Washington Ave., plans to host a program with gingerbread house making and cocoa from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 20. Visit friendsofthefort.org or call 702-486-3511.
- The Winchester Headliners youth theater program is set to present “A Christmas Carol” at 7 p.m. Dec. 18 and 19 at the Winchester Cultural Center, 3130 McLeod Drive. Tickets are $7. Visit clarkcountynv.gov or call 702-455-7340.
- “A Christmas Carol: Read by Charles Dickens” is scheduled at 8 p.m. Dec. 19, 20, 26 and 27 and 2 p.m. Dec. 21 and 28 at the Onyx Theatre, 953-16B E. Sahara Ave. Actor Byron Tidwell is set to perform a one-man show using Dickens’ performance notes. Visit onyxtheatre.com or call 702-732-7225.
An event called the Polar Express is slated from 5 to 9 p.m. Dec. 20 at the Springs Preserve, 333 S. Valley View Blvd., as part of its Night at the Museum series. Youths ages 5 to 12 can enjoy activities, snacks, a pizza dinner, a movie and a visit from Santa. Reservations are required. The cost is $25. Members receive $5 off. Call 702-822-7700 or visit springspreserve.org.
- The Brian Setzer Orchestra is set to perform “Christmas Rocks! Extravaganza” at 8 p.m. Dec. 20 at the Pearl inside the Palms, 4321 W. Flamingo Road. Tickets start at $43. Call 702-944-3200 or visit palms.com.
- The Jingle Bell Ball is scheduled at 8 p.m. Dec. 20 at Fremont Country Club, 601 Fremont St. The free event is set to feature a silent auction and entertainment with Sasha Sirota and Almost Normal beginning at 10 p.m. Free photos with Santa and other special guests are set to be available from 7 to 10 p.m. Visit ticketfly.com.
- The Nevada Ballet Theatre’s “The Nutcracker” is slated to be performed at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 19, at 2 and 7:30 p.m. Dec. 20 and at 1 and 5:30 p.m. Dec. 21 at The Smith Center for the Performing Arts, 361 Symphony Park Ave. Tickets are $29 to $179. Visit thesmithcenter.com or call 702-749-2012.
- Light Shine Events plans to host its second annual Winter Celebration & Expo from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Dec. 20 and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 21 at Alexis Park Resort, 375 E. Harmon Ave. The event will feature emerging artists, musicians, lifestyles and “edutainment” with more than 70 exhibitors from the Las Vegas community presenting gifts for the holidays and year-round. A silent auction is planned to benefit homeless teens, along with exhibitor raffles, a treasure hunt, yoga, drum circles, meditation, stress relaxation chairs, massage, entertainment and music. Visit lightshineevents.com.
- A free large-scale model train exhibit is set to be decorated for the holidays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Dec. 22-Jan. 3 at the Las Vegas Garden Railway Society, 8555 W. Centennial Parkway. The trains will shut down at 3 p.m. on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve and will not be running on Christmas Day, Dec. 28 and New Year’s Day. Admission is free. Visit lvgrs.org.
- Winter Wonderland, an outdoor experience with a snow play area, sledding, ice skating, a movie and light show, a tree sales lot and a Zappos Pop Up Shop, is scheduled from 3 to 10 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 11 a.m. to midnight Fridays and Saturdays and 11 to 10 p.m. Sundays at Eighth and Fremont streets throughout December. Admission to the area is free. Free parking is available in the Llama Lot at Ninth and Fremont streets. Ice skating is $5. Snow play is $10 an hour. Sliding down the sledding hill is $12 for five rides. Visit givewithme.com.
- The Magical Forest at Opportunity Village, 6300 W. Oakey Blvd., is slated to offer Boris the Elf’s 3D Experience, Rudolph’s Raceway, the Magical Midway, Rod’s Mini-Golf, Cheyenne’s Enchanted Carousel, the Avalanche Slide and the Forest Express Passenger Train. Visitors can also take photos with Santa and the Magical Forest mascots Ovie Bear, his girlfriend Honey Bear and Boris the Elf, among others. Hours are 5:30 to 9 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays and 5:30 to 10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays through Jan. 4. General admission is $11 for adults and $9 for children. To enjoy unlimited rides and attractions, adult passports can be purchased for $20 and children’s passports for $18. Various discounts also are available. Visit opportunityvillage.org/magical-forest or call 702-259-3700.
- Santa’s Wonderland — A Classic Christmas is planned through Dec. 24 at Bass Pro Shops, 8200 Dean Martin Drive. Highlights include free photos with Santa from 3 to 8 p.m. weekdays, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays; free crafts from 5 to 7 p.m. weekdays and noon to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays; and decorating Christmas cookies from 3 to 5 p.m. Dec. 24. Visit basspro.com.
- Train rides with Santa are slated at 11 a.m., noon and 1, 2 and 3 p.m. December 22-24 at the Springs Preserve, 333 S. Valley View Blvd. The rides feature Santa Claus reading holiday stories and handing out candy canes as the Arctic Express takes its journey. The cost is $3 for members and $5 for nonmembers with general admission. Call 702-822-7700 or visit springspreserve.org.
- Ethel M Chocolates, 2 Cactus Garden Drive, plans to host its 21st annual holiday cactus garden through Jan. 1. Admission is free. Visit ethelm.com.
- Glittering Lights, the annual drive-through holiday display, is scheduled through Jan. 4 at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, 7000 Las Vegas Blvd. North. The attraction features hundreds of light displays stretched over a 2.5-mile course and is open from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays and 5:30 to 10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Admission is $20 per car. Visitors may receive $5 off Sundays through Thursdays with the donation of a bag of gently used items for Goodwill of Southern Nevada. Live Nativity nights presented in partnership with the United Methodist Churches of Las Vegas are scheduled Dec. 18-24. Visit glitteringlightslasvegas.com.
- Santa is set to board trains at the Nevada State Railroad Museum, 600 Yucca St. in Boulder City, weekends through Dec. 20. Admission is $5. Advance purchase is recommended. Tickets range from $14 to $20. Visit nevadasouthern.com.
- Santa is set to visit the Galleria at Sunset mall, 1300 W. Sunset Road, through Dec. 24. Daily light shows are slated on the hour from 5 p.m. to closing time. The attraction is set to feature 54,000 lights, a 40-foot Christmas tree and more. Visit galleriaatsunset.com/events.
- Mystic Falls Park at Sam’s Town, 5111 Boulder Highway, is transformed annually with holiday decorations and an hourly 15-minute laser light spectacular set from 5 to 10 p.m. through Jan. 1. Cowboy Santa is set to appear from noon to 4 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays and from noon to 8:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 23. Visit samstownlv.com, or call 702-636-7075.
- The Ice Rink at the Boulevard Pool is scheduled to be open from 3 p.m. to midnight Mondays through Fridays and noon to midnight Saturdays and Sundays through Jan. 4 at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, 3708 Las Vegas Blvd. South. The 4,200-square-foot rink is set to feature a fire with s’mores roasting, periodic snowfall on the weekends and holiday movies on Mondays. All-day skating is $10 for Nevada residents and $15 for nonresidents. Skate rentals are $5. Admission is free to the pool area, which features a winter atmosphere. The ice rink is open to children 2 or older, but children 16 or younger must be accompanied by an adult. Visit cosmopolitanlasvegas.com.
WORTH A DRIVE
“A Muse,” an original dance drama by Las Vegas Academy dance instructor Jeneane Huggins, is scheduled at 7 p.m. Dec. 18-20 in the Lowden Theater for the Performing Arts at Ninth Street and Clark Avenue. Tickets are $10 to $15. Visit lvacademytheatre.org.
- The What If … ? conference is scheduled from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 19 at the Inspire Theatre, 107 Las Vegas Blvd. South. A breakout session, 7 Methods Post-Conference Workshop, is set from 1 to 5 p.m. Dec. 20. The event is organized by TED Talks speaker Matt Murrie and gathers groups to ask questions that challenge the status quo, discuss solutions and solve problems through innovation and social action. Tickets are $250 for the conference and $50 for the breakout session. Visit www.whatifvegas.com or call the Inspire Theatre at 702-489-9110.
- The Clark County Nevada Genealogical Society plans to meet from 10 a.m. to noon Dec. 20 at the Paseo Verde Library, 280 S. Green Valley Parkway. Visit ccngs.org.
- Spend Christmas Eve rafting the Colorado River from the base of Hoover Dam with Santa during a smooth-water river excursion to be guided by Black Canyon River Adventures at 10 a.m. Dec. 24. The trip is $92 for adults 16 or older, $87 for youths 13 to 15 and $58 for children 5 to 12. Children younger than 5 will be admitted free. Round-trip transportation from Las Vegas is $44 per person. Visit blackcanyonadventures.com or call 800-455-3490.
- “A Master’s Journey,” featuring paintings by Lolita Develay, is set to be on display through Jan. 31 at the Left of Center Gallery, 2207 W. Gowan Road. The work documents the artist’s progress toward obtaining a Master of Fine Arts degree. Visit leftofcenterart.org.
- In celebration of its 22nd anniversary, the Las Vegas House of Blues is looking to host 22 charitable events in the Foundation Room December through January. Events are slated to run from 5 to 8 p.m. and are open to the public, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the corresponding charity. Guests must be 21 or older, and dress codes are enforced. For a list of charities and dates, visit tinyurl.com/hobanniversary. For more on the venue, visit houseofblues.com/lasvegas. Dates are still available. To be added to the list, email Holmes Pooser at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In celebration of 15 years in Las Vegas, Madame Tussauds, 3377 Las Vegas Blvd. South, plans to offer $15 tickets to Nevada residents through Dec. 31. Visit madametussauds.com/lasvegas or call 702-862-7800.
- A display on Blue Diamond history is open through the end of the year at the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area Visitor Center, 1000 Scenic Loop Drive. The exhibit is in honor of Nevada’s 150th birthday and includes artifacts, historic photographs and a PowerPoint program on the Gypsum Journey. Visitors can write comments in the visitor’s book. Call 702-515-5367.
- The Clark County Museum, 1830 S. Boulder Highway, plans to display its “Curator’s Choice: Favorites from the Collection” exhibit through January. The exhibit was selected by Dawna Jolliff, who has been with the museum for 38 years. Call 702-455-7955.
- The exhibit “Storyland: A Trip Through Childhood Favorites” is scheduled through Jan. 4 at the Discovery Children’s Museum, 360 Promenade Place. The exhibit transforms seven beloved and award-winning picture books into 3-D, play and learning environments. Visit discoverykidslv.org.
- The Skull Show Biennial is set to be on display from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and noon to 5 p.m. Saturdays through Jan. 31 at the Donna Beam Gallery inside the Alta Ham Fine Arts building at UNLV, 4505 S. Maryland Parkway. Visit pac.unlv.edu or call 702-895-2787.
- Bank of America customers receive free entry the first weekend of most months at the Discovery Children’s Museum, 360 Promenade Place; the Las Vegas Natural History Museum, 900 Las Vegas Blvd. North; and the Springs Preserve, 333 S. Valley View Blvd. Admission is offered through the bank’s Museums on Us program, which allows Bank of America customers free access to select museums on the first weekend of every month. Participants must show their U.S. Trust, Merrill Lynch or Bank of America debit or credit card to receive free admission. Special event admission is not included. Visit museums.bankofamerica.com.
- Emmy Award-winning tribute band Fab Four is set to pay homage to The Beatles at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 27 and 28 at the Suncoast Showroom, 9090 Alta Drive. Tickets start at $15.95. Visit suncoastcasino.com or call 702-636-7075.
- Chadwick Johnson’s new show “Champagne Wishes” is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Dec. 30 at the Suncoast Showroom, 9090 Alta Drive. Tickets start at $19.95. Visit suncoastcasino.com or call 702-636-7075.
- Louis Prima Jr. and the Witness are set to perform a free show at 8 p.m. Dec. 30 at Red Rock Resort, 11011 W. Charleston Blvd. Doors are set to open at 7 p.m. There is no cover charge, but guests must be 21 or older. Entry is on a first-come, first-served basis and based upon venue capacity. Visit sclv.com/concerts.
- A New Year’s at Noon party featuring Mark Giovi and more is planned for 11:30 a.m. Dec. 31 at the Suncoast Showroom, 9090 Alta Drive. Tickets start at $15.95. Visit suncoastcasino.com or call 702-636-7075.
- A New Year’s Eve Party featuring Vegas Super Band is planned for 10 p.m. Dec. 31 at the Suncoast Showroom, 9090 Alta Drive. Tickets start at $29.95. Visit suncoastcasino.com or call 702-636-7075.
- The Gateway Arts Foundation and Dr. Carole Altman are scheduled to present “I Know I Came In Here For Something,” a middle-age musical comedy revue, at 3 p.m. Jan. 4 at the Starbright Theatre, 2215 Thomas W. Ryan Blvd. Tickets are $15. Visit gatewayartsfoundation.org or call 702-240-1301.
- Bobby Rydell is set to perform at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 10 and 11 at the Suncoast Showroom, 9090 Alta Drive. Tickets start at $15.95. Visit suncoastcasino.com or call 702-636-7075.
- Mary Wilson of The Supremes is set to perform at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 17 and 18 at the Suncoast Showroom, 9090 Alta Drive. Tickets start at $15.95. Visit suncoastcasino.com or call 702-636-7075.
- Bill Fayne & Mistinguett Productions plan to present “From Broadway to Hollywood — Broadway Musicals that Made it to Hollywood” at 3 p.m. Jan. 18 at the Starbright Theatre, 2215 Thomas W. Ryan Blvd. Tickets are $18. Call 702-240-1301.
- Comedian Aries Spears is set to perform at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 23 and 24 at the Suncoast Showroom, 9090 Alta Drive. Tickets start at $15.95. Visit suncoastcasino.com or call 702-636-7075.
- Rabbit & His Crazy Cast of Characters, starring Martin Mancuso and Carmine Mandia, are set to perform at 7 p.m. Jan. 31 at the Starbright Theatre, 2215 Thomas W. Ryan Blvd. Tickets are $13. Call 702-240-1301.
- Piano Men: A Tribute to Elton and Billy is set for 7:30 p.m. Jan. 31 at the Suncoast Showroom, 9090 Alta Drive. Tickets start at $15.95. Visit suncoastcasino.com or call 702-636-7075.
- An exhibition in honor of Chinese New Year is scheduled to be on display by appointment at the Historic Fifth Street School, 401 S. Fourth St. An artist’s reception is scheduled from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 19. Visit artslasvegas.org or call 702-229-1012.
- The Ward 2 Walkers group plans to meet at 8 a.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Hualapai Canyon Trailhead on Hualapai Way north of Alta Drive. Trudy Temple, Ward 2 appointee to the Senior Citizens’ Advisory Board, is coordinating the new walking group. The trailhead loop is 1 mile, and the intent is to walk two loops. Visit lasvegasnevada.gov/information.
- Free parent and child tennis clinics by the United States Tennis Association Nevada are planned for the first Sunday of every month for children 8 or younger in the Children’s Play Area at Tivoli Village, 440 S. Rampart Blvd. The clinic for 3- to 5-year-olds is planned from 1:30 to 2 p.m. and for 6- to 8-year-olds from 2 to 2:30 p.m. Visit tivolivillagelv.com.
- Bonkerz Comedy Club inside the Edge Lounge at the Rampart Casino, 221 N. Rampart Blvd., has acts slated for 7 p.m. Thursdays. Tickets are $15 and include a drink. Purchase tickets at the casino cage or call 702-507-5980.
- The Dirty is scheduled to perform from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. Saturdays in Rocks Lounge at Red Rock Resort, 11011 W. Charleston Blvd. Cover charge is $10 at the door and $5 for Boarding Pass card members (sign-ups will be available at the door). Guests must be 21 or older. Visit redrock.sclv.com.
- Addison’s Lounge in the Rampart Casino, 221 N. Rampart Blvd., plans to host free live entertainment at 8:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Wes Winters is set to perform at 6 p.m. Tuesdays and Mark O’Toole at 6 p.m. Wednesdays. Call 702-507-5900.
- J.C.’s Irish Sports Pub inside the Rampart Casino, 221 N. Rampart Blvd., plans to host free live music starting at 9 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Call 702-869-7725.
- The Rampart Casino’s Round Bar, 221 N. Rampart Blvd., plans to present live music throughout the week. Call 702-507-5900.
- Red Rock Resort, 11011 W. Charleston Blvd., plans to feature Dave Ritz from 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays in T-Bones Chophouse. Rick Duarte is scheduled from 6 to 10 p.m. Thursdays and 7 to 11 p.m. Saturdays. Ritz is scheduled from 7 to 11 p.m. Fridays. Guests must be 21 or older. Visit sclv.com.
- Line dancing is planned from 2 to 4 p.m. Thursdays (dark Dec. 25) in Rocks Lounge at Red Rock Resort, 11011 W. Charleston Blvd., for guests 21 or older. Visit sclv.com.
- Zowie Bowie is scheduled to perform Fridays in Rocks Lounge at Red Rock Resort, 11011 W. Charleston Blvd. Doors open at 10 p.m. for guests 21 or older. Visit sclv.com.
- Jared Berry is scheduled to perform from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays in Onyx Bar at Red Rock Resort, 11011 W. Charleston Blvd. Guests must be 21 or older. Visit sclv.com.
- The Bingo Room at Red Rock Resort, 11011 W. Charleston Blvd., plans to feature live music for guests 21 or older from 10 a.m. to noon Sundays. Visit sclv.com.
- The Centennial Las Vegas Genealogy Society is scheduled to meet the second Monday of every month at 6 p.m. inside the community room of the Holy Spirit Lutheran Church, 6670 W. Cheyenne Ave. The group is dedicated to genealogy and ancestry research. Visit clvgs7.wix.com/clvgs.
- The German Friendship Club plans to meet at 7 p.m. the fourth Thursday of each month at Trails Community Center, 1910 Spring Gate Lane. Call 702-254-2590.
Share Your News
Send information about upcoming Summerlin-area community events to email@example.com.