June 4, 2014 - 9:00 pm
In Your Neighborhood
- The Outdoor Picture Show on the Green is scheduled to feature a free screening of “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” at 8 p.m. June 7 at the District at Green Valley Ranch, 2240 Village Walk Drive. Additional screenings are slated to run through October. Visit shopthedistrictgvr.com/outdoorpicshow.php.
- The works of Chris Mazglad are slated to be on display throughout June at the City Lights Art Gallery, 3 E. Army St. The gallery plans to kick off the show with an artist reception from 1 to 4 p.m. June 8. Admission is free. Visit citylightsartgallery.com.
- The city of Henderson plans a Slide into Summer event with games and activities including giant Slip ‘n Slide lawn water slides from 5 to 7 p.m. June 7 at Anthem Hills Park, 2256 N. Reunion Drive. Admission is $5. Visit hendersonlive.com.
- Teens interested in volunteering at the Paseo Verde Library, 280 S. Green Valley Parkway, over the summer break are encouraged to attend an orientation session from 2 to 4 p.m. June 6 at the library. Visit mypubliclibrary.com.
- “The World Through My Eyes,” featuring the art of Sally White, is scheduled to be on display through June 27 at The Gallery in the Henderson Multigenerational Center, 250 S. Green Valley Parkway. White enjoys capturing commonly viewed scenes and environments and presenting them in new and interesting ways. Visit cityofhenderson.com.
- Free Poolside Sessions at the Backyard performances are scheduled at 7 p.m. Thursdays at Green Valley Ranch, 2300 Paseo Verde Parkway. Elko is set to perform June 5. WillPlay is scheduled to play June 12 and Josh Royse is set to play June 19. Visit sclv.com/concerts.
- Nashville Unplugged is set to feature guest songwriter Dave Pahanish at 8 p.m. June 6 in Club Madrid at Sunset Station, 1301 W. Sunset Road. Admission is $5. Visit sclv.com/concerts.
- James Darren is set to perform at 7:30 p.m. June 7 and 8 at the South Point, 9777 Las Vegas Blvd. South. Tickets start at $35. Visit southpointcasino.com/entertainment.
- A 146th Belmont Stakes Handicapping seminar featuring handicappers Patrick McQuiggan and Ralph Siraco is scheduled from 6 to 7 p.m. June 6 at the South Point, 9777 Las Vegas Blvd. South. Hosted by John Kelly, the free seminar offers race enthusiasts a preview of the competing horses and a breakdown of each horse’s racing history. The South Point also plans to host a free Belmont Stakes viewing party starting at 8 p.m. June 7. Guests must be 21 or older. Visit southpointcasino.com.
- Pacific Coast Cutting Horse Association Core Balance Derby and Classic/Challenge is scheduled June 8-15 at the South Point Arena, 9777 Las Vegas Blvd. South. Admission is free for spectators. Visit southpointarena.com.
- More than 100 baskets are set to be on display through May 31 for the Tribal Treasures: Regional Baskets and Their Collectors exhibit in the Heritage Gallery at the Clark County Museum, 1830 S. Boulder Highway. Visit clarkcountynv.gov.
- The Magic of Motown & More is scheduled from 8 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays at the South Point, 9777 Las Vegas Blvd. South. Admission is $5. Visit southpointcasino.com.
Worth a Drive
- The fourth annual Vegas Fringe Festival is scheduled June 6-15 at the Las Vegas Little Theatre, 3920 Schiff Drive, in the Mainstage and Black Box theatres. The two-weekend festival is set to feature new and established plays and performances of no more than one hour each, performed multiple times throughout the festival. Tickets start at $10 and a festival pass is available. Visit lvlt.org/fringe2014.htm.
- Movies in the Square plans free activities and family film screenings at sundown Thursdays through Aug. 21 at the Green at Town Square Las Vegas, 6605 Las Vegas Blvd. South. Films scheduled include “Monsters University” on June 5, “The Little Mermaid”on June 12, “Mulan” on June 19 and “Despicable Me 2” on June 26. Visit mytownsquarelasvegas.com or call 702-269-5000.
- Bank of America customers receive free entry June 7 and 8 to the Discovery Children’s Museum, 360 Promenade Place, the Las Vegas Natural History Museum, 900 Las Vegas Blvd. North, or the Springs Preserve, 333 S. Valley View Blvd. Admission is offered through the bank’s Museums on Us program, which allows Bank of America customers free access to select museums on the first weekend of every month. Participants must show their U.S. Trust, Merrill Lynch or Bank of America debit or credit card to receive free admission. Visit museums.bankofamerica.com.
- Opera Las Vegas plans a professional staging of Gioachino Rossini’s comic opera “The Barber of Seville” at 7:30 p.m. June 6 and 2 p.m. June 8 in the Judy Bayley Theatre at UNLV, 4505 S. Maryland Parkway. The opera is to be performed by Metropolitan Opera stars with orchestra conducted by Gregory Buchalter. Tickets are $55-$95. A free preview lecture is planned at 6:30 p.m. Visit pac.unlv.edu or call 702-895-2787.
- The Linhong Li Chinese Ensemble is set to perform a free concert featuring Chinese folk music and contemporary pop songs on traditional Chinese instruments at 2 p.m. June 7 at the Winchester Cultural Center, 3130 McLeod Drive. Tickets must be picked up at the center’s front desk. Visit clarkcountynv.gov.
- Fashion 2 Art Olympics is scheduled from 5 to 10 p.m. June 6 at Circus Circus, 2880 Las Vegas Blvd. South, and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 7 at The Center, 401 S. Maryland Parkway. The event is set to include fashion shows, performers and vendors. Tickets start at $10 in advance and $20 at the door. Visit fashion2artolympics.com.
- A Swing into Summer Fashion Show and Dinner, featuring men’s and women’s fashions from Saks Fifth Avenue, is scheduled at 5:30 p.m. June 6 at the Las Vegas Country Club, 3000 Joe W. Brown Drive. The event is slated to benefit the American Lung Association in Nevada. Tickets are $150. Visit swingintosummerwithsaks.com.
- Screenings of “Ella Enchanted” and “The Princess Bride” are scheduled June 9 at the Boulevard Pool at The Cosmopolitan, 3708 Las Vegas Blvd. South. The first film is set to start at 7 p.m., the second at 9:30 p.m. Admission is $5 or free for hotel guests. Visit cosmopolitanlasvegas.com.
- “The Magic School Bus Kicks Up A Storm” exhibit is scheduled to visit the Discovery Children’s Museum, 360 Promenade Place, through Sept. 1. In the exhibit, based on the Scholastic Entertainment books and television series, visitors will get to enter Ms. Frizzle’s Classroom, climb aboard the bus and visit the Walkerville Weather Center. Visit discoverykidslv.org. n The Charleston Heights Arts Center, 800 S. Brush St., plans a free Dynamic Trombone Quartet performance at 2 p.m. June 7. Visit artslasvegas.org.
- The Shuffle-Aires are scheduled to perform at 7 p.m. June 6 at Winchester Cultural Center, 3130 McLeod Drive. Tickets are $10 in advance or $12 on concert day. Visit clarkcountynv.gov.
- “Painted Pictures,” an exhibition of original photographs by entertainer Jerry Lewis, is scheduled to be on display through August in the UNLV Marjorie Barrick Museum, 4505 S. Maryland Parkway. Museum hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and noon to 5 p.m. Saturdays. The museum is open until 8 p.m. Thursdays. Visit unlv.edu/barrickmuseum.
- Off-Strip Productions plans to present “The Importance of Being Earnest” at 8 p.m. June 5-7 and at 2 p.m. June 8 at the Onyx Theatre, 953 E. Sahara Ave., Suite 16B. Tickets are $20 and $15 for students, seniors and members of the military. Visit onyxtheatre.com or call 702-732-7225.
- The Nevada Camera Club 2014 Electronic Image Competition Exhibit is scheduled to be on display during regular business hours through Aug. 10 at the Whitney Library, 5175 E. Tropicana Ave. Visit lvccld.org or call 702-507-4010.
- Las Vegas-based artist Matthew Couper plans to present the art exhibit “Horror Vacui” through July 18 at the Winchester Cultural Center Gallery, 3130 McLeod Drive. A reception with a performance by the artist is scheduled from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. May 30. Visit clarkcountynv.gov.
- David Benoit is set to perform from 7 to 10 p.m. June 7 at Clark County Government Center Amphitheater, 500 S. Grand Central Parkway as part of Clark County Parks and Recreation’s Jazz in the Park concert series. Food Vendors are set to be at the free event. Visit clarkcountynv.gov.
- The Springs Preserve, 333 S. Valley View Blvd., plans to offer indoor miniature golf from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. through Sept. 1. General admission for locals costs $9.95 for adults, $8.95 for seniors, students and military personnel and $4.95 for children ages 5 to 17. Visit springspreserve.org/apps/event.
- The 11th Annual Blues, Brews & BBQ Festival is set for 4 p.m. June 7 at The Club at the Cannery, 2121 E. Craig Road. Admission is $5. Visit cannerycasino.com.
- A Vacation Bible School focused on the adventures of Moses is scheduled from 6 to 8:30 p.m. June 16-20 at Henderson United Methodist Church, 609 E. Horizon Drive. The program is free and open to children of kindergarten to fifth-grade age. Activities are set to include indoor villages, tents, crafts, snacks and music. To register, call 702-565-6049.
- Tickets for Junefest, set for 4 p.m. June 14 at Sunset Station, 1301 W. Sunset Road, start at $29. The event is slated to feature performances from Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Loverboy and Gary Wright. Visit sunsetstation.sclv.com.
- The Gin Blossoms are scheduled to perform at 8:30 p.m. June 21 at the Henderson Pavilion, 200 S. Green Valley Parkway. Tickets cost $10. Visit hendersonlive.com.
- Galaxy Green Valley Luxury + movie theater, 4500 E. Sunset Road, plans a classics series. Films scheduled include “Babe,” June 22; “The Breakfast Club,” Aug. 24; “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” Oct. 19; and “Home Alone,” Dec. 7. Tickets are $7 or $15 for two tickets and a large popcorn. Visit galaxytheaters.com.
- “Oh What a Night! A Musical tribute to Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons” is scheduled at 8 p.m. June 13 at the Grande Grand Events Center in Green Valley Ranch Resort, 2300 Paseo Verde Parkway. Tickets are $26.50. Visit sclv.com/concerts.
- New Vista plans wine walks in which patrons can sample up to 20 wines hosted by Southern Wine & Spirits Nevada and Lee’s Discount Liquor from 7 to 10 p.m. Sept. 6 and Oct. 25 at The Village at Lake Las Vegas. Tickets are $25. Visit newvistanv.org.
Share Your News
Send information about upcoming Henderson community events to email@example.com.