NEW YORK — Fox News has decided to part ways with star host Bill O’Reilly following allegations of sexual harassment, New York magazine reported on Wednesday, citing anonymous sources briefed on the discussions.
O’Reilly said in an April 1 statement that he had been unfairly targeted because of his public prominence. Marc Kasowitz, O’Reilly’s lawyer, said in a statement on Tuesday that the television host “has been subjected to a brutal campaign of character assassination that is unprecedented in post-McCarthyist America.”
In the wake of his firing Wednesday, O’Reilly maintained that sexual harassment claims against him were not true, calling his dismissal over the allegations “tremendously disheartening.”
O’Reilly said he was proud of his time at Fox. He thanked his viewers and noted the success Fox had achieved.
— MarlaTellez (@MarlaTellez) April 19, 2017
It is not known exactly how Fox News will handle O’Reilly’s exit or whether he would be allowed to say goodbye to viewers on the air, according to the New York magazine report.
Representatives at Fox News and its parent Twenty-First Century Fox Inc were not immediately available for comment. A memo was distributed to employees Wednesday addressing questions about O’Reilly’s employment.
Internal memo just sent out to all staff at Fox News Channel RE: Bill O'Reilly pic.twitter.com/UjecenLxNq
— Steve Cariola (@SRCario) April 19, 2017
The New York Times reported on April 1 that Fox and O’Reilly, a 20-year veteran of the conservative cable network, paid five women a total of $13 million to settle harassment claims.
O’Reilly said in the statement at the time that he had settled only to spare his children from the controversy.
After the report advertisers including BMW of North America , Allstate Corp, French pharmaceuticals maker Sanofi SA and T. Rowe Price, pulled their advertising from O’Reilly’s primetime “The O’Reilly Factor” show.
The five women who received settlements either worked for O’Reilly or appeared as guests on his program, according to the New York Times story.
Fox News anchor Laurie Dhue accused O’Reilly and Fox News founding chairman Roger Ailes of harassing her, but not sexually, and Juliet Huddy, a regular guest on O’Reilly’s show, accused him of pursuing a sexual relationship with her and trying to hamper her career after she rejected his advances, the newspaper reported.
The largest settlement was a payout of $9 million in a sexual harassment lawsuit former Fox News producer Andrea Mackris brought against O’Reilly in 2004, according to the New York Times.
Ailes was forced to resign in July after being accused of sexual misconduct by a number of women, including former anchor Gretchen Carlson. Ailes has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.
Twenty-First Century Fox has tapped the law firm Paul, Weiss Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, which also looked into the allegations against Ailes, to investigate O’Reilly’s conduct.
“The O’Reilly Factor” is the most watched program on Fox News and is coming off the highest-rated first quarter in its history, averaging 4 million viewers, according to Nielsen.
The network has continued to enjoy high ratings despite the exodus of advertisers from O’Reilly’s show and a spate of allegations that executives turned a blind eye to sexual misconduct there.
Tucker Carlson to fill Bill O’Reilly’s slot
Fox News Channel says “Tucker Carlson Tonight” will begin airing an hour earlier to fill the time slot vacated by Bill O’Reilly, who lost his job Wednesday after allegations that he sexually harassed women.
Starting Monday, Carlson’s show will be followed at 9 p.m. EDT by “The Five,” relocating from its afternoon slot.
“The Five” will be replaced at 5 p.m. EDT by a one-hour program hosted by Eric Bolling, to debut May 1. Next week, “Special Report with Bret Baier” will fill the 5-to-7-p.m. timeslot.
At 7 p.m. EDT, Martha MacCullum remains in place.
The departed O’Reilly’s “The Factor” will continue through this week with Dana Perino hosting Wednesday and Thursday night, and Greg Gutfield on Friday.
Rounding out the Fox prime-time lineup, “Hannity” remains at 10 p.m. EDT.
O’Reilly in Las Vegas
O’Reilly’s live “The Spin Stops Here Tour” is booked for Dec. 15 at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace. Tickets were still on sale on the Axs.com website Wednesday afternoon for the show with comedian Dennis Miller and Fox News personality Jesse Watters.
An advocacy group, Care 2, is circulating an online petition urging five venues, including the Colosseum, to cancel O’Reilly’s appearances.
The Colosseum is operated by AEG Live, which also produces some of the venue’s concert stars, including Celine Dion. However, an AEG spokeswoman said the O’Reilly date is not one of those the company produces and an outside promoter is involved. Caesars Entertainment had not returned emails or phone calls by 6 p.m. Wednesday.
O’Reilly and Miller have performed occasional dates at the Colosseum since their first in December 2012.
— Review-Journal reporter Mike Weatherford contributed to this report.