weather icon Clear

Advise for someone who wants to be a real state agent

Q: Since assisting my sister with the sale of her house, I find the idea of selling homes and preparing homes for sale interesting. I contacted the state and got a list of locations with classes on real estate sales and broker licensing.

I am also interested in estate sales and the process of staging and cleaning homes. I suspect identifying and working with people who already do this type of work would be a good way to get involved.

Any advice you have for a retired person looking for a second career would be appreciated. Your column is always interesting and understandable. A couple weeks ago, I came across your blog, which is entertaining and inspirational. — G. G.

A: For someone who finds real estate sales interesting, brokerage can indeed be an exciting second career. I’m not sure what state you’re writing from, so I can’t be specific about requirements. But to start, you need to take a salesperson licensing course and pass a state examination. Because important decisions and large sums of money will be involved, you will then start as an apprentice to a sponsoring broker, who will be legally responsible for your actions. You’ll receive practical training from the company you join.

There’s no one profile for a successful agent, but it helps if you have certain traits.

You need to be a self-starter. Eventually, you’ll be working on your own. You’ll set your own hours and choose your own goals.

You need be flexible. Every day is different, and your income may be irregular. Some days, you’ll be free to sleep in; some weekends, you’ll be completely involved with out-of-town buyers.

Most importantly — and it sounds as if you’ll be fine with this one — you must enjoy what you’re doing. Some workers watch the clock and count the years till retirement. People who find they aren’t enjoying real estate almost always quit and go do something else.

Many people think selling real estate consists of finding someone who wants to buy a property, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. You’ll advise sellers on market value, analyze buyers’ financial ability, help negotiate sales agreements, guide financing and serve as liaison with inspectors, attorneys, lenders and title companies. You’ll monitor paperwork and help solve problems all the way to final transfer of title.

Sign up for that salesperson course. At the same time, start investigating various firms so you can find a sponsoring broker for licensing. Drive around neighborhoods that interest you; read ads; and call for interviews with several companies that are active in those areas.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. The decision to affiliate works both ways: The broker will take valuable time to train you, and you will be investing your time and energy.

Most beginning salespersons work as independent contractors rather than employees, so you aren’t likely to be offered a salary, health insurance, income-tax withholding or paid vacation. You’ll probably be offered a “split” — perhaps, as a beginner, half of the commissions you bring in.

There’s something to be said for joining a large franchised office, but some salespersons enjoy working with small independent firms. Try to find an office and an initial training environment that suits your pace. It may be a formal classroom; it may be one-on-one with an experienced broker.

It’ll be a fascinating adventure!

(My blog is called “86 and Holding.” It doesn’t have anything to do with real estate, and I’m no longer 86 years old, but I’m pleased G. G. found it.)

This year or next?

Q: My husband and I purchased a house in another state at the end of 2016. We plan to move into the house January 2018. We currently have some very nice tenants.

The house needs work: New windows, plumbing, air conditioning and a new water heater are the most critical repairs at this time. Would it benefit us tax-wise to make these repairs now, while the property is a rental? Or would it serve us better to wait until we are living in the home? — W. L.

A: The cost of repairs to a rental property can be deducted from rental income. For repairs that are considered permanent, though, a bookkeeping system known as depreciation spreads the cost over a period of years, and one year’s deduction would be relatively small.

Repairs are not deductible once a property is your own residence. What you spend on permanent improvements can be added to your cost basis. That wouldn’t matter until you sold it someday. In any event, if you’ve used the homesellers tax exclusion at any point, there might not be any capital gains tax.

Contact Edith Lank at www.askedith.com, at edithlank@aol.com or at 240 Hemingway Drive, Rochester NY 14620.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
Changes in law will affect how associations can tow vehicles

Senate Bill 212 was changed. It affects how associations can tow vehicles in the community. The existing law states that a vehicle may not be towed until 48 hours after affixing a notice to the vehicle that explains when it will be towed (with the exception of vehicles that are related to health, safety or welfare, i.e. parking in front of fire hydrants, etc.).


Editor’s note: Listings include the resale home’s parcel number. The address listed is the homebuyer’s mailing address and not the actual location of the resale home. About 90 percent of these addresses reflect the home purchase. Check the parcel number to make sure. Also, a few transactions do not reflect the market value of the homes. The information is provided by Accudata, a local research firm. For the complete listing, visit RJRealEstate.Vegas.

New Nevada laws that will affect HOAs

There were not too many laws passed in this last legislative session that affected our local homeowners associations. Here are some that did.

BHHS partners with Adwerx to offer Realtors new program

Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Nevada Properties, in partnership with Adwerx Enterprises, has launched a new platform, called Brilliantly Simple to immediately advertise its real estate listings online. The platform automatically creates digital advertising programs for each home, including custom ads that are optimized for social media, apps and websites.

Homeowners have right to see HOA financial records

Per Nevada Revised Statute 116.31175 (1a), upon written request, you are entitled to receive financial statements from your association. Please send a formal specific request of what financial statements that you would like to receive.

High land costs affect developments

For all the job growth and expansion in the Las Vegas economy, a lack of land and its high cost is restricting growth in the valley, experts told the Southern Nevada real estate and development community.

Local home prices stuck at $300,000

For the third straight month, the Greater Las Vegas Association of Realtors, GLVAR, reported that local home prices are hovering at $300,000, while the number of homes on the market continues to increase.

Fair Housing Law requires accommodations for disabled

The Fair Housing Law requires accommodations for the disabled. Based upon your email, the homeowner would have a strong claim against the association if the homeowner was forced to remove the motor home, or if the association were to fine the homeowner because of the therapy equipment. Take the time to meet with this homeowner and see if there are any other viable alternatives.

HOA must deal with bully board member

The only way to keep bully board members in check is for the entire board to deal with the issue in executive session. Depending upon the gravity of the situation, legal counsel should be informed and invited to attend the executive session.

Federal law allows for service animals in HOA

The Fair Housing Act amendments of 1988 extended the protections of Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968. Associations must allow service dogs and emotional support animals, if necessary for a person with a disability.