weather icon Clear

Town home owner struggles to fix bathroom leak

Q: I have read your column for years, and I’ve been a Realtor here in Las Vegas since 1979.

We have a serious problem in our home of water intrusion from our neighbor’s upstairs bathroom. We noticed a small leak in our dining room ceiling and called a plumber. We assumed the leak was coming from our master bath, which is on our second story. Our property is a town house, not a condo. Upon inspection, the plumber told us the leak was not coming from our bathroom, but from the unit next door. This was after he cut a hole approximately 3-foot-by 1-foot in our dining room ceiling and inspected the affected area.

Since that time, the tenant that lives there and the owner, who lives in Texas (there is no property management for the property), will not allow a plumber to investigate and fix the leak. We cannot stop water intrusion or repair the damage that is occurring every day until the leak is fixed. Our insurance adjuster has been out to inspect the damage. Remediation and repair companies have been out to access damage, but no one can do anything until the leak is addressed. This is turning into a nightmare for my husband and I. It’s been going on since Oct. 23. We have contacted our homeowners association, but these are not condos, and it seems like no one knows what we can do other than maybe file a nuisance complaint. The owner of said property has a notice of default from the association for over $14,000 because he doesn’t pay his HOA dues.

Do you have any suggestions?

A: There is a new law passed under Senate Bill 239 that amends 116.30312 and addresses this kind of situation. In fact, the new law provides the authorization for the association to enter the unit and take affirmative action. Unfortunately, the law applies to condominiums and vacant units.

This homeowner, who is not willing to fix his side of the town house, is already in trouble with the association for failing to pay his assessments. The association should continue to foreclose on this home and, if possible, obtain the contact number for the mortgage lender (assuming that there is a mortgage on the home) to place some pressure on the lender to exercise its rights to enter the home to remediate the leak.

Obviously, that takes time. You should contact code enforcement from either the county of the city where you reside. In addition, you need to contact the Southern Nevada Health District, as this is a health issue. Hopefully, these agencies can assist you.

If you have not approached the tenant, you should ask him or her to allow the plumber to at least assess the problem and provide you with a bid to repair. If the cost to repair on the tenant’s side (at least to stop the leak) is not unreasonable, you should send a registered letter to the Texas owner that you are stopping the leak and paying for the repair work. You could then take the owner to small claims if he did not pay. Now, I realize the probability of the owner reimbursing you is slim to none, but you may be able to be reimbursed by your own insurance company.

In addition, you should contact the association’s insurance company to see if there is any coverage.

The association should, at least, send a health and safety violation against the homeowner.

Q: As a member of an HOA, I have been an avid reader of your column for many years. Having now become a member of our executive board, I wonder if you would provide an update on the status of the order of lien priorities in Nevada. I understand that there are ongoing differences between legal entities and would greatly appreciate a review understandable at the lay level that I can pass along to our community.

A: In response to your question, the priority of liens listed in this article is limited to that stated in Nevada Revised Statute 116.3116. There may be other kinds of liens that could take precedence of law outside of my knowledge. Here is what NRS116 states that an association lien is “prior to all other liens and encumbrances on a home,” with the exception of the following:

■ “Liens for real estate taxes and other governmental assessments” (IRS)

■ Liens for any fee or charge against the home under NRS 444.520, which pertains to municipal solid waste

■ “Liens and encumbrances recorded before the recordation” of the CC&Rs (covenants, conditions and restrictions).

■ “A first security interest” on the home (your mortgage, seconds, equity loans) recorded before the date the homeowner became delinquent, with the exception of the nine-month superior lien of the homeowner’s delinquent assessments.

There is one other superior lien that an association can place against a unit owner that is found under NRS 116.310312, which pertains to the exterior of a home that is not being maintained where the association, after due process, has maintained the home and has incurred expenses — a “maintenance superior lien,” so to speak.

Barbara Holland is a certified property manager, broker and supervisory certified association manager. Questions may be sent to holland744o@gmail.com.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
Changes in law will affect how associations can tow vehicles

Senate Bill 212 was changed. It affects how associations can tow vehicles in the community. The existing law states that a vehicle may not be towed until 48 hours after affixing a notice to the vehicle that explains when it will be towed (with the exception of vehicles that are related to health, safety or welfare, i.e. parking in front of fire hydrants, etc.).


Editor’s note: Listings include the resale home’s parcel number. The address listed is the homebuyer’s mailing address and not the actual location of the resale home. About 90 percent of these addresses reflect the home purchase. Check the parcel number to make sure. Also, a few transactions do not reflect the market value of the homes. The information is provided by Accudata, a local research firm. For the complete listing, visit RJRealEstate.Vegas.

New Nevada laws that will affect HOAs

There were not too many laws passed in this last legislative session that affected our local homeowners associations. Here are some that did.

BHHS partners with Adwerx to offer Realtors new program

Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Nevada Properties, in partnership with Adwerx Enterprises, has launched a new platform, called Brilliantly Simple to immediately advertise its real estate listings online. The platform automatically creates digital advertising programs for each home, including custom ads that are optimized for social media, apps and websites.

Homeowners have right to see HOA financial records

Per Nevada Revised Statute 116.31175 (1a), upon written request, you are entitled to receive financial statements from your association. Please send a formal specific request of what financial statements that you would like to receive.

High land costs affect developments

For all the job growth and expansion in the Las Vegas economy, a lack of land and its high cost is restricting growth in the valley, experts told the Southern Nevada real estate and development community.

Local home prices stuck at $300,000

For the third straight month, the Greater Las Vegas Association of Realtors, GLVAR, reported that local home prices are hovering at $300,000, while the number of homes on the market continues to increase.

Fair Housing Law requires accommodations for disabled

The Fair Housing Law requires accommodations for the disabled. Based upon your email, the homeowner would have a strong claim against the association if the homeowner was forced to remove the motor home, or if the association were to fine the homeowner because of the therapy equipment. Take the time to meet with this homeowner and see if there are any other viable alternatives.

HOA must deal with bully board member

The only way to keep bully board members in check is for the entire board to deal with the issue in executive session. Depending upon the gravity of the situation, legal counsel should be informed and invited to attend the executive session.

Federal law allows for service animals in HOA

The Fair Housing Act amendments of 1988 extended the protections of Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968. Associations must allow service dogs and emotional support animals, if necessary for a person with a disability.