With the holiday season fast approaching, it’s time for the Las Vegas Review-Journal’s annual list of upcoming holiday and craft bazaars.
In this year of economic turmoil, the list may provide an alternative way to find affordable gift items and holiday decorations, while at the same time supporting nonprofit organizations and charities that are receiving increased calls for help.
Although some bazaars in our list are repeat participants, others this year are first-timers.
Reformation Lutheran Church will have its first holiday bazaar from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 24 at 580 E. St. Louis Ave.
Church members have offered rummage sales and spaghetti dinners as fundraisers, but decided to have their first holiday bazaar to bring the congregation together.
“Fellowship is really important with all church congregations,” said Helen Smith, who helped organize the bazaar. “We were thinking of doing something like this to bring people together to do some fun projects.”
Preparation for the bazaar began in late winter/early spring, noted Smith, who made Advent calendars and a quilt among other items for the event.
A small group of women, both church members and nonmembers, has been meeting once a week to work on craft projects together.
Some of the items available will be lap quilts, wreaths and holiday and home decorations, and there also will be a bake sale.
The proceeds are needed for remodeling and repairs to the church, which also is used by Korean and Hispanic churches, in addition to serving as a meeting place for support groups, according to Smith.
Other upcoming events by local nonprofit organizations include:
* Women of the Vine of Mountain View Presbyterian Church will have a fall bazaar featuring jewelry, children’s bags and backpacks, candles, original art, kitchen items, knitted and crocheted items, ornaments, baked goods, drawings and more, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 8601 Del Webb Blvd. A $1 entry fee includes entry in 25 door prize drawings throughout the day. Proceeds benefit mission and outreach programs of the church.
* Goolsby Elementary School PLT Inc. will have a fall festival and holiday shopping expo featuring a cakewalk, games, pumpkin contest, food and more, noon-4 p.m. at 11175 W. Desert Inn Road. Proceeds benefit the school.
* Reformation Lutheran Church will have a holiday bazaar featuring quilts, Christmas wreaths, jewelry, a bake sale and more, 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. at 580 E. St. Louis Ave. Proceeds go toward remodeling and repairs to the church.
* Christ Lutheran Church, 1401 Fifth St., Boulder City, will have its annual holiday bazaar featuring traditional Christmas crafts, quilts, needlework pictures and items, seasonal decorations and a bake sale, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Nov. 6 and 7. Proceeds benefit missionary work and charitable organizations.
* Moapa Valley Art Guild will have its annual Pomegranate Art Festival featuring arts and crafts, food, children’s activities, drawings and entertainment, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Nov. 6 and 7 at the Clark County Fairgrounds, 1301 W. Whipple St., Logandale. Proceeds benefit the guild and its promotion of visual arts, including college scholarship funds.
* The Women of St. Joseph, Husband of Mary Roman Catholic Church will have its annual holiday charity bazaar featuring a craft fair, book shop, bake sale, drawing, silent auction, “Kids Korner” with Santa and Mrs. Claus, cookie room and food cafe, 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Nov. 7 and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Nov. 8 at 7260 W. Sahara Ave. Proceeds benefit several charities including St. Therese Center for AIDS, Las Vegas Rescue Mission, The Salvation Army, Catholic War Veterans and Poverello House.
* The Children’s Service Guild will have a holiday boutique featuring handmade arts and crafts including wreaths, table adornments, tree ornaments, quilts and blankets, food and more, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Elks Lodge, 4100 W. Charleston Blvd. Proceeds benefit Child Haven, foster care services and children affected by Family Court Services.
* The Women’s Guild of St. Viator Catholic Church will have its annual holiday bazaar featuring arts and crafts, a bake sale, candy sale, cakewalk, silent auction and drawings, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Nov. 7 and 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Nov. 8 at 2461 E. Flamingo Road. Proceeds benefit the parish.
* Angels for Angels, the auxiliary volunteer group of Olive Crest, will have a holiday gift and craft bazaar featuring homemade gifts, candles, jewelry, purses, doggie clothes, drawings and prizes, and more, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. at Town Square in the Park, 6605 Las Vegas Blvd. South. The bazaar also will feature a holiday food drive for nonperishable food items. A free drawing ticket will be given per can for as many as five tickets maximum. Proceeds benefit the children of Olive Crest, which helps abused, neglected and at-risk kids.
* First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), 101 S. Rancho Drive, will have its annual holiday craft and gift market featuring holiday home decorations, gifts, arts and crafts, jewelry, pottery, baked goods and specialty foods, glassware and more, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Nov. 13 and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Nov. 14. A barbecue dinner will be served 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Nov. 14. Proceeds benefit the church’s ministries.
* St. Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church, 204 S. Boulder Highway, Henderson, will have its annual craft and “whatnots” holiday sale featuring handmade aprons, afghans, blankets, pillows, ornaments, hats, gift baskets, baby items and more, 2-7 p.m. Nov. 13 and 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Nov. 14 as well as 2-7 p.m. Dec. 19 and 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 20. Proceeds benefit the parish.
* Daughters of the Nile, El Giza Temple No. 139, will have a holiday gift and craft show featuring crafts and gently used items including Christmas decor, jewelry, women’s fashions, toys, gift baskets, food and more, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Zelzah Shrine Center, 2222 W. Mesquite Ave. Proceeds benefit the women’s group’s general fund.
* St. Jude’s Women’s Auxiliary is having its annual Christmas bazaar featuring baked goods, jewelry, collectibles, Christmas items and gifts, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at The Orleans, 4500 W. Tropicana Ave. Proceeds benefit Safe Nest, St. Jude’s Ranch for Children and other local children’s charities.
* The Vegas Viking Lodge and Desert Troll Lodge of Sons of Norway will have its annual Scandinavian holiday bazaar featuring Scandinavian holiday items, baked goods, Norwegian rosemaled calendars, a Grannie’s Attic with gently used holiday items and more, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Community Lutheran Church’s Fellowship Hall, 3720 E. Tropicana Ave. Proceeds benefit the organization’s scholarship fund and Robert Taylor Elementary School under the Sons of Norway adopt-a-school program.
* The Marthas and Marys of St. John Neumann Catholic Church will have a fall craft show and bake sale featuring handmade seasonal items and Christmas crafts, ceramics, floral arrangements, crocheted and quilted items, children’s items, baked goods and more, 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Nov. 14 and 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Nov. 15 at 2575 W. El Campo Grande Ave., North Las Vegas. Proceeds benefit the women’s group’s charitable projects.
* The Sisterhood of Congregation Ner Tamid, 55 N. Valle Verde Drive, Henderson, will have a Hanukkah bazaar featuring Hanukkah and Judaic items, jewelry, handbags, knit and crocheted items, gourmet foods and more, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Proceeds benefit the group’s Fund 4 Youth camp scholarships.
* St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church will have its annual craft fair featuring handmade items including, holiday decorations, jewelry, tablecloths, gift baskets, baked goods, drawings and more, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. in the cafeteria at Centennial High School, 10200 Centennial Parkway. Proceeds benefit the parish’s building fund.
* The Evening Chapter of the Mesquite Club will have a holiday craft auction featuring handmade items including fall centerpieces, Christmas wreaths, quilts and more, at 6 p.m. at the Mesquite Club clubhouse, 702 E. St. Louis Ave. Admission to the auction is $20 and includes a dinner buffet and beverages. Proceeds benefit the Goodie Two Shoes Foundation.
* Redeemer Lutheran Church, 1730 N. Pecos Road, will have a country craft fair and bake sale featuring crocheted and knitted items, a variety of gift baskets, Christmas decorations, jewelry, blankets, baby items, children’s crafts, homemade jellies, jams and candies and other items, noon-5 p.m. Nov. 20 and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Nov. 21. Proceeds benefit the church’s building fund.
* The Los Prados Women’s Club will have a bake sale featuring pies and cakes, breads, cookies, candies, a coffee bar and more, 9 a.m.-noon at 5150 Los Prados Circle. Proceeds benefit local charities, including Family Promise and Street Teens.
* The Coronado High School Band Boosters will have a holiday craft fair featuring seasonal and nonseasonal crafts, jewelry, gift baskets, food items, clothing and more, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Coronado High School cafeteria, 1001 Coronado Center Drive, Henderson. Proceeds support the band program.
* Faith Lutheran High School Grad Nite Live is having its annual Crusader Christmas Boutique featuring jewelry, specialty food items, home goods, clothing, a bake sale, drawing and more, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in the student center at Faith Lutheran Junior-Senior High School, 2015 S. Hualapai Way. Proceeds benefit Grad Night Live, an alcohol- and drug-free all-night graduation celebration for the high school’s seniors.
* The Women of Midbar Kodesh Temple, 1940 Paseo Verde Parkway, Henderson, will have a Hanukkah bazaar featuring jewelry, handbags, gift items, toys and more, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Proceeds will benefit the group’s projects.
* The Boulder City Community Club will have its 35th annual Doodlebug Bazaar featuring handmade clocks, crepe-paper floral designs, Christmas items, handmade jewelry, hand-carved wooden items, soaps, candles and more, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Boulder City Recreation Center, 900 Arizona St. Proceeds benefit local nonprofit groups and organizations in Boulder City, including Lend A Hand, St. Jude’s Ranch for Children and Boulder City/Hoover Dam Museum.
* The Los Prados Women’s Club will have its annual craft fair featuring homemade items including soaps, candles, paintings, crocheted and knitted items, jams, candy and more, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at 5150 Los Prados Circle. Proceeds benefit local charities, including The Salvation Army and Straight from the Streets.
* The Nogcus Council No. 305 Degree of Pocahontas will have a Christmas wrap and bake sale featuring cookies, cake, fudge and more, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Dec. 5 and 9 a.m.-noon Dec. 12 at Jaycee Mobile Home Community Hall, 5805 W. Harmon Avenue. Proceeds benefit local charities including Nevada State Veterans Home, Lied Adult Day Care Center, Ronald McDonald House and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
* World Ministries Fellowship Church, 3310 S. Nellis Blvd., will have a craft bazaar 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Proceeds will be used for blankets and socks for the homeless and to sponsor a family from a local school for Christmas.
* Sandy Valley Culturati will have a Christmas arts and crafts sale 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Keystone Center, 115 Miami St., Sandy Valley. Proceeds benefit the Culturati and the Keystone Educational Foundation.
* The Sun City Sewing Club will have a holiday craft fair featuring Christmas and gift items 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the craft building at 9107 Del Webb Blvd. Proceeds fund the group’s charity work for hospitals, women’s shelters and nursing homes.
* St. Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church, 204 S. Boulder Highway, Henderson, will have its annual craft and “whatnots” holiday sale featuring handmade wreaths, scarves, ornaments, gift baskets, baby items and more, 2-7 p.m. Dec. 19 and 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 20. Proceeds benefit the parish.
Contact reporter Madelon Hynes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-383-0306.