The beauty industry never stops trying to lure you into buying new primping products. With each season comes a slew of new lip glosses, eye shadow palettes and hair products that promise to do the kind of things miracles are made of. Consumers find themselves swimming in a sea of claims and cures. The never-ending dilemma seems to be which to pass up and which to convert to.
We’d like to ease the stress of such life-altering decisions. Here, we provide you with opinions from industry professionals. These are the people who know the products inside out and have cut out most of them to provide clients with superior service. Take a look at the products that make their best of beauty lists.
Kim Vo, owner of Kim Vo Salon at Mirage
• Shampoo: Kerastase Bain Chroma Riche, $32, Kim Vo Salon at Mirage. If you’re going to invest in your color you should invest to help protect it.
• Conditioner: Schwarzkopf Professional Bonacure BC Hairtherapy Repair Rescue, $15, Color at Caesars. You will feel like you’ve left the spa every time you use it.
• Hairspray: Paul Mitchell Worked Up, $14.95, A Robert Cromeans Salon at Mandalay Bay. A great nonsticky spray that is totally workable with a brush.
• Volumizer: Nexxus Root Exxtend, $11.99, Ulta. Really creates fullness without the residue.
• Masque: Natures Miracle $6.99, sleekhair.com
• Pomade: Tancho $12, joybeauty.com. A Japanese product that is pure vegetable oil with lavender that is great for shine.
• Straightening Product: Phyto Phytodéfrisant Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm, $26, Sephora. Great for control without leaving any residue or greasiness.
• De-frizzer: Bed Head After Party $17.99, Walgreens. Controls the flyaways for silky, smooth, shiny hair.
• Curling Iron: Hot Tools curling irons, $42 to $49.99, Ulta. They heat up fast and they do the job.
• Flat Iron: Chi flat irons, $149.95 to $194.95, Beauty Center. The ceramic plates protect the hair from damage and they evenly distribute the heat for sleek, shiny hair.
• Blow Dryer: Ergo, $249.95, beautychoice.com. So great for a professional looking blow dryer that works just as well.
• Beauty Secret: Celebrities only wash their hair every three days or so. This helps encourage the natural oils to penetrate and rehydrate the hair. This is the trick used to keep color lasting longer.
• Can’t Live Without: Kim Vo Dry Serum Perfect Polish, $55, Kim Vo Salon at Mirage. The leave-in serum is weightless and reshapes dry, frizzy mops into silky, shiny locks.
Barbra Jo Batterman professional makeup artist
• Lip Gloss: Clinique Long Lasting SPF 15, $14, Dillard’s at Meadows mall. It is not tacky and a nice shine.
• Lip Liner: MAC Lip Pencils, $12.50, Nordstrom at Fashion Show mall. They are wonderful. I use them all over the lips, blot, reapply with a lipstick, and they tend to keep your lipstick on longer; not drying.
• Lip Conditioner: Kiehl’s Lip Balm SPF 15, $9.50, Kiehl’s at the Forum Shops at Caesars. It seems to be everybody’s favorite; I mix with lip liner and apply all over.
• Lipstick: Chanel Rouge Hydrabase Creme Lipsticks, $25, Macy’s at Galleria at Sunset mall. They tend to stay on and don’t run. I love the creamy feel.
• Blush: Nars Cream Blush, $24, Neiman Marcus at Fashion Show mall. It has a smooth and silky consistency. Even on oily skin, it lays smooth.
• Eye Shadow: MAC Eye Shadow, $14, Macy’s at Meadows mall. It has been my favorite. They have a huge color range and I think they are reasonably priced. I love that you can buy them with magnets so you can just replace what you need from your pallet.
• Eyeliner: Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes, $16, Sephora at Town Square. It stays on!
• Mascara: Shu Uemura Fiber Xtension Mascara, $23, Sephora at Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood. Says and does it all. One coat is plenty, but if you choose to build, you can and your length will appear double!
• Concealer: Laura Mercier Secret Concealer, $22, Saks Fifth Avenue at Fashion Show mall. It gives a nice coverage without falling into lines. A great consistency without looking heavy.
• Foundation: LaPrairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation SPF 15, $170, Neiman Marcus at Fashion Show mall. It is the Creme de la Creme of foundations. It is silky, smooth, beautiful, and expensive. It does include a concealer on top of base.
• Loose Powder: Kryolan Anti Shine Powder, $36.55, www.ShowFace.com. I use it either with a brush or a puff and it is silky enough that you don’t get powder build up. It is colorless so it is not necessary to change colors for the seasons.
• Pressed Powder: Lancôme Color Ideal Pressed Powder Precise Match Skin Perfecting Pressed Powder, $31, Dillard’s at Galleria at Sunset mall. Does not feel heavy but it does give you a nice coverage. It doesn’t feel thick.
• Brow Product: Kevyn Aucoin Precision Eye Brow Pencil, $24, Neiman Marcus at Fashion Show mall. It goes on smooth, stays on, and I love the brush at the end to brush through your brows leaving a very natural look. You can roll it up or down so you don’t lose anything in sharpening.
• Brushes: Trish McEvoy brushes, $20 to $53, Nordstrom at Fashion Show mall. She makes beautiful brushes. It is worth the investment. They are your tools and should last you for years. I especially like her shadow brushes. They work with a lot less work and they wash up beautifully.
• Brush Cleaner: Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner, $24, GetYourBeauty.com. It’s the one and only one. In a matter of seconds, you witness the make-up being dissolved from your brushes and leaves them with a fresh, clean fragrance.
• Facial Cleanser: Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser, $35, Ulta. It is great for normal to dry skin. Although it exfoliates, it removes all traces of makeup and leaves your skin feeling refreshed.
• Eye Makeup Remover: Pevonia Botanica Ligne Yeux Eye Makeup Remover, $28.50, Spa Bellagio. One swipe and it is gone. No rubbing and pulling necessary.
• Eye Cream: La Mer The Eye Balm, $130, Saks Fifth Avenue at Fashion Show mall. Helps to diminish appearance of lines and wrinkles. Your under eyes feel smooth and soft. I use day and night. Use sparingly!
• Facial Scrubs: YSL Instant Pur Gommage, $44, www.yslbeautyus.com. Granule-free exfoliate, nonabrasive and leaves skin feeling smooth and soft.
• Wrinkle Treatment: Guerlain Intenserum 14 night treatment, $205, Guerlain at the Shoppes at Palazzo. By day seven, you see a difference in your complexion. Works well on your neck too!
• Facial Moisturizer: Eckstein Biocor Moisturizer. Rich enough for the dryness in the desert. Hydrating and concentrated.
• Face Mask: Murad Exfoliating Acne Treatment Gel, $53, Ulta. Helps to remove dead skin without creating more oil.
• Body Lotion: Clinique Deep Comfort Body Butter, $23.50, Macy’s at Galleria at Sunset mall. It works well on younger skin. It can also help eczema.
• Bronzer: Guerlain Terracotta Bronzing Powder, $42, Neiman Marcus at Fashion Show mall. Great pigment.
• Self Tanner: Guerlain Teracotta Sunless Tinted Self-Tanning Gel, $50, Sephora at Grand Canal Shoppes at The Venetian. Immediate tint within two hours.
• Sunscreen: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunblock SPF 85, $9.94, Target. Nongreasy!
• Nail Polish: OPI is long-lasting and has a great color selection and great price. OPI Paint & Go nail lacquer, $6.99, Ulta.
• Products I can’t live without: Guerlain Orchidee Exceptional Complete Care Eye & Lip Cream, $180, Guerlain at the Shoppes at the Palazzo. It’s concentrated, hydrating and dual purpose. Artificial eyelashes. They are fast, easy and look very natural if so desired.
• Products I wished were in Las Vegas: Madina Milano — they make a product called cheek sculpting fluid that holds your blush on. … I love it! Maybe soon…
• Best Beauty Secret: When you are in a rush and don’t have time or choose not to do your eye makeup, with your blush brush, brush a bit of blush over your eyes and you will pull your whole look together.
Brannon, owner of Brannon Salon at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
• Shampoo: Brannonhair Daily 01, $24, Brannon Salon. This is an all-around great daily use shampoo that does not weigh the hair down nor strip color.
• Conditioner: Davines Vegetarian Nourishing Miracle, $24, Cloud 9 Salon & Day Spa. This conditioner replenishes moisture as well as retextures the hair follicle.
• Straightening Product: L’Oreal ARTec Texture Line Texture Paste, $13.99, Mosaic Salon & Spa. This product has been discontinued, but you can still find it on the Internet. Great stuff.
• Hair Defrizzer: Phyto Phytodéfrisant Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm, $26, Sephora. It was one of the first defrizzers to ever come out, and has yet to be matched.
• Blow Dryer: Elchim 2001 Professional Blow Dryer, $119.95, Folica.com. This is the industry standard. Oh, and don’t throw away the condensers (the little back tips) they are the most important piece!
• Flat Iron: T3 Bespoke Labs flat irons, $119 to $260, Sephora. This is a workhorse. Adjustable, ceramic, and you can drop it a hundred times and it wont break.
• Curling Iron: Hot Tools curling irons, $42 to $49.99, Ulta. They come in about 10 different sizes, they heat up quick, and the chords swivel, as to never get tangled.
• Hair Spray: Davines Wizards No. 7 Crystal Fixative Lacquer, $26, Mosaic Salon & Spa. It gives a light spray but holds and is workable.
• Hair Mask: Davines Natural Tech Environmental Damage Recovery Mud, $38.50, Brannon Salon. This stuff gets everything from air pollution to chlorine out of the hair!
• Pomade: Privé Detailing Pomade, $21, Apothecary at Wynn Las Vegas. This stuff gets in the hair, holds it relentlessly, and then washes out very easily.
• Best Beauty Secret: Mason Pearson Brush, $50-$253, Omni Chemist at Fashion Show mall. It is the industry standard. If your stylist doesn’t have one, switch stylists.
Krystle Randall, makeup artist
• Lip Gloss: Murad Energizing Pomegranate Lip Protector SPF, $16.50, Sephora. This antioxidant-rich lip therapy replenishes dehydrated lips.
• Lipstick: Bobbi Brown Tinted Lip Blams, $18, Neiman Marcus at Fashion Show mall. Summer must-haves for those who don’t like the full coverage of lipstick but still want color and protection.
• Blush: Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick Palletes, $38, Saks Fifth Avenue at Fashion Show mall. Great for on-the-go, all-in-one colors for eyes and face.
• Concealer: Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat Radiant Touch Pen Concealer, $40, Neiman Marcus at Fashion Show mall. Convenient concealer in a pump pen. Great for on-the-go and touch ups!
• Eye Shadow: MAC powder eye shadow, $14, MAC Cosmetics at Town Square. Highly pigmented in every shade and color.
• Eyeliner: Lancome Le Stylo Waterproof long-lasting eyeliner, $23, Dillard’s. This twist tip liner never needs sharpening and has a smudger on the other end for smoking it out if desired.
• Mascara: Mary Kay Signature Ultimate Mascara, $15, Marykay.com. All-in-one formula for long thick and voluminous lashes.
• Foundation: Aveda Inner Light Tinted Moisture APF 15, $25, Aveda at Fashion Show mall. This long-wearing, oil-free tinted moisturizer gives a good coverage while also moisturizing and protecting with a mineral derived sunscreen. Coverage is sheer and dewy but can be layered for a fuller coverage. A pressed or loose powder can also make coverage thicker.
• Loose Powder: Makeup Forever Super Matte Loose Powder, $24, Sephora. A light silky matte powder for wearing alone over moisturizer or to set a foundation. • Pressed Powder: NARS Powder Foundation, $45, Sephora. Lightweight, good coverage, SPF 12, flawless coverage.
• Brow Product: Smashbox Brow Teach, $24, Ulta. One side is a fibrous brow color and the other is a wax for shaping and grooming. Apply the wax first to groom and shape the existing brows and the color second to fill in the holes or even draw a whole new brow.
Best used with Smashbox Angle Brow Brush #12, $20, Ulta. This brush is the best brow brush on the market. The bristles are stiff, which makes brow powders go on flawlessly and naturally. • Brushes: Smashbox Arced Liner Brush #21, $20, Ulta. This brush is thin and has an ergonomic bend in the handle to shape to the eyes. Makes gel or cream liner a cinch to apply. MAC 188 Duo Fiber Face Brush, $34, MAC Cosmetics at Town Square. Used for lightweight application of liquid foundation, crème blush, loose powder, blush, shimmer, etc.
MAC 129 Powder Brush, $34, MAC Cosmetics at Town Square. Round and firm to press powder where it needs to go. Great for setting loose powder on top of foundation while getting more coverage than a big fluffy brush.
Makeup Designory Lip Brush #310, $15, mudshop.com. Perfect shape for the lips. Load brush on each side and place in the corner of the mouth on bottom lip. Bring to the middle, turn over and repeat on the other side. Load brush again and do top lip. Very fast and perfect application.
NARS Eye Contour, $29, Neiman Marcus at Fashion Show mall. Perfect for the crease!
MAC Tapered Blending Brush #225,$36, MAC Cosmetics at Town Square. Used for blending the color in the crease.
MAC 190 Foundation Brush, $32, MAC Cosmetics at Town Square. Designed to create flawless application with no brush strokes.
Smashbox Blending Brush #3, $32, Ulta. Perfect for all-over color. Almond shape contours to the eye and is very soft. • Facial Cleanser: Kiehl’s Yerba Mate Tea Cleanser, $20.50. It has all-natural ingredients with extra added vitamins and tea extracts.
Facial Scrub: Kiehl’s Epidermal Re-Texturizing Microdermabrasion, $40, Kiehl’s at the Forum Shops at Caesars. Practically a microdermabrasion treatment at home. • Wrinkle Treatment: Arbonne NutriMinC RE9 Anti-Aging Skin Care line, $298.50 for the set (Hydrating Wash, Mist Toner, Serum, Eye Cream, Day Crème, Night Crème and a Gelle Transforming Lift Serum), Arbonne.com. Formulated with nine key elements to reverse the signs of aging that strengthen firm and protect. Once you try it, you will never go back. Unlike anything else. Formulated with natural ingredients and a high dose of vitamins.
• Facial Moisturizer: Kiehl’s Abyssine Lotion SPF 15, $42. It helps minimize lines and wrinkles and defends skin from radical damage. Feels and makes skin feel very soft.
• Face Mask: Aveda Tournaline Charges Radiance Masque, $26, Aveda at Fashion Show mall. Smoothes and refines skin for a healthy glow. A natural mineral tourmaline boosts skin’s energy and helps gently shed dull surface cells. Smoothes and hydrates skin with shitake extract, avocado oil and muru butter. • Body Lotion: Laura Mercier Souffle Body Cremes, $55, Saks Fifth Avenue at Fashion Show mall. Contains vitamins for nourishment and shea butter for moisturizing. Comes in amazing scents and flavors such as almond coconut milk, au lait soufflé, chocolate truffle, crème brulee, french vanilla and tarte au citron. • Bronzer: Smashbox Body Lights Glowing Lotion, $35, Ulta. Gives a natural tan without looking orange. Has shimmer and a tropical fragrance as well. • Nail Polish: Orly Calcium Shield, $8.25, Ulta. Instantly increases thickness of weak and thin nails. Leaves nails strong and helps nail growth. Use alone or under and on top of color.
Yves Saint Laurent Nail Touch Nail Lacquer Pen Brush, $25, Neiman Marcus at Fashion Show mall. Easy to use. Just click for polish. Lasts long and has great colors. • Products Randall can’t live without: NARS Pencil Sharpener, $6, Neiman Marcus at Fashion Show mall. Dual blades for small to large pencils. Very sharp and never breaks or wastes the pencil.
Smashbox Photo-op Under Eye Brightener, $18, Ulta.
Shu Uemura Mini Eyelash Curler, $17, Neiman Marcus at Fashion Show mall. • Product you wish was in Vegas: Face Stockholm, a stand-alone Makeup Forever store and Cinema Secrets.
• Best Beauty Secret: Laura Mercier Secret Finish, $27, Nordstrom at Fashion Show mall. Use as a refresher for your makeup throughout the day. Leaves a bright and radiant look. Works great after foundation powder to prevent powder from looking dry in fine lines. Instantly gives a moist and natural looking glow to skin. Oil free.
Smashbox Emulsion Lip Exfoliant, $18, Ulta. Sugar-based peppermint exfoliator that conditions as it exfoliates. Leaves lips smooth and chapped or dry skin free.
Contact fashion reporter Xazmin Garza at email@example.com or 702-383-0477.