Nevada Cooperative Extension offers the following tips to keep your Christmas tree healthy and your home safe this holiday season.
* Cut 2 inches off the trunk at a diagonal, allowing the tree to absorb water.
* Keep the tree stand filled with warm water, watering daily.
* Be sure the tree is well supported and away from fireplaces, heat vents, candles and other sources of heat.
* Do not place the tree where it will block an exit.
* Check lights and discard any with worn or frayed wires.
* Avoid overloading electrical circuits.
* Never leave the tree lights on when no one is home.
For additional information, call University of Nevada Cooperative Extension at 222-3130.
Information courtesy Nevada Cooperative Extension