weather icon Clear
RJ App
Vegas News, Alerts, ePaper

Coroner names boy, 4, who died after house fire in North Las Vegas

Updated April 21, 2021 - 2:09 pm

The Clark County coroner’s office has identified a 4-year-old boy who died last week after a house fire.

He was Angel Diaz, of North Las Vegas, the coroner’s office said. His cause and manner of death had not been determined as of Wednesday afternoon.

Around 6:25 p.m. on April 13, a fire broke out at a home on the 3100 block of Webster Circle, near Cheyenne and Eastern avenues, the North Las Vegas Fire Department said. Firefighters found Angel in the home, but the boy died at University Medical Center.

Deputy Chief Gary Stover said that the house’s fire alarms were working and warned another child, a 10-year-old girl, of the blaze with enough time for her to escape. The Fire Department said the girl was hospitalized and was expected to survive.

Stover recommended that people check to ensure their smoke alarms are working and make an exit plan with family in case of a fire in the home.

Further information about the fire was not immediately available.

Contact Katelyn Newberg at knewberg@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0240. Follow @k_newberg on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
Oregon kidnapping suspect dies, was former Nevada prisoner

A suspect in a violent kidnapping in Oregon died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound Tuesday night after being taken into custody following a standoff with law enforcement, a police spokesman said.

GM approves $650M Nevada lithium mine investment

General Motors Co. has conditionally agreed to invest $650 million in Lithium Americas Corp. in a deal that will give GM exclusive access to the first phase of a mine planned near the Nevada-Oregon line with the largest known source of lithium in the U.S.

Alleged cult leader arrested after raid at NLV home

Las Vegas police on Tuesday arrested and raided the home of a former “Dances With Wolves” actor turned alleged cult leader accused of sexually assaulting young Indigenous girls, according to police records obtained by The Associated Press.