93°F
weather icon Partly Cloudy

Wood stove causes house fire in Henderson

A wood stove caused a chimney fire Saturday in Henderson, displacing two adults and significantly damaging the home.

According to a city of Henderson news release, the fire occurred at about 10 p.m. Saturday on the 1000 block of San Gabriel Avenue near Interstate 15 and College Drive.

The two residents safely exited the home before calling 911. Arriving firefighters spotted heavy smoke and flames emerging from the roof of the home.

Damage is estimated at $245,000, according to the release. The cause of the fire was accidental.

The Henderson Fire Department encourages homeowners to have their chimneys inspected regularly and professionally cleaned. The department also recommends choosing seasoned logs when using a wood-burning fireplace and avoiding adding other combustibles, such as paper or cardboard, to the fire.

Contact Rachel Hershkovitz at rhershkovitz@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0381. Follow @rzhershkovitz on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Back to school fair draws students, parents to Henderson mall

Clark County School District Superintendent Jesus Jara was among those on hand at the event, which is designed to help parents and students get ready for the new school year. CCSD students go back to school on Aug. 12.

 
Henderson Hospital staff, patients reunited

Henderson Hospital celebrated its first anniversary by inviting all former neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) patients and their families to reunite.

Henderson among best places to retire for great weather

GOBankingRates determined the best places to retire with great weather by examining such things as home prices, average temperature and crime rate.

 
Henderson campaign highlight dangers of leaving kids in cars

Temperatures inside a car can reach 30 to 40 degrees above the outside temperatures, which poses a severe risk of heatstroke for children left inside cars, Henderson fire officials said.