Additional cooling stations will open across the Las Vegas Valley to help the city’s homeless population during the looming heat wave, Clark County spokesman Dan Kulin said.
The stations will open Saturday and run through Friday, Kulin said. Temperatures are expected to reach 114 by Wednesday, the National Weather Service said.
The average temperature in Las Vegas at this time of year is about 100 degrees, according to the weather service.
The Clark County coroner’s office listed heat exposure as the cause or contributing factor for about 80 deaths last summer.
Cooling stations open through the summer can be found at Catholic Charities, 1511 N. Las Vegas Blvd., the Salvation Army, 35 W. Owens Ave., and The Shade Tree, 1 W. Owens Ave.
Temporary cooling stations, such as those opening Saturday, open only to accommodate excessive heat warnings, Kulin said.
Two cooling stations will be available in Laughlin at American Legion Richard Springston Post 60 and Colorado Food Bank, Kulin said. Veterans Village at 1150 Las Vegas Blvd. South will provide hydration 24 hours per day, Kulin said.
Las Vegas cooling stations
Open June 17-23:
- Black Mountain Recreation Center, 599 Greenway Road, 702-267-4070
- Cambridge Recreation Center*, 3930 Cambridge St., 702-455-7169
- Downtown Recreation Center, 105 W. Basic Road, 702-267-4040
- Dula Gymnasium, 441 E. Bonanza Road, 702-229-6307
- Hollywood Recreation Center*, 1650 S. Hollywood Blvd., 702-455-0566
- Pearson Community Center*, 1625 W. Carey Ave., 702-455-1221
- Stupak Community Center, 251 W. Boston Ave., 702-229-2488
- Walnut Recreation Center*, 3075 N. Walnut Road, 702-455-8402
- Whitney Ranch Recreation Center, 1575 Galleria Drive, 702-267-5850
*These locations can accommodate pets in a carrier or on a leash, according to Las Vegas Fire Department.
Veterans Village at 1150 Las Vegas Blvd. South will provide hydration 24 hours per day, Kulin said in a release. The location can be contacted at 702-222-1680.
Two cooling stations also will be available in Laughlin at American Legion Richard Springston Post 60 and Colorado Food Bank, Kulin said.
Contact Rachel Hershkovitz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-383-0381. Follow @rzhershkovitz on Twitter.