Details emerge in northeast Las Vegas home invasion shootout

A 23-year-old man was able to fend off two intruders in his family’s home Tuesday morning, killing one and wounding the other, according to a police report released Wednesday.

Just after 9 a.m. Tuesday, Tarneshia Harris, 29, also known as Tiffany Carter, and a male accomplice broke into a house in the 3800 block of King Palm Avenue, near Pecos and Alexander roads, while several people were home, according to the report.

The duo initially tried a ruse to gain entry, police said.

Harris knocked on the door of the house and told the 12-year-old boy who answered that her car had broken down and asked to use the phone. The boy agreed, but then started to close the door. Harris pushed through and put him in a headlock, according to the report.

At that point, the male intruder, armed with a stolen .22-caliber pistol, came in the front door. He pointed his handgun at the boy and told him to be quiet, the report said.

The man then turned and went to the bedroom where the boy’s 23-year-old brother was sleeping, the report said.

The intruder kicked in the bedroom door, according to the report, and pointed his gun at the man in bed. The 23-year-old told police he grabbed the loaded .40-caliber pistol he keeps next to his bed.

The intruder fired one shot, and was hit at least once by return fire before he ran from the bedroom.

The 23-year-old, who was not wounded, told police he could hear his mother and brother screaming and saw the man, still with gun in hand, standing at the front door. So he shot at him again. This time the intruder dropped his gun and ran out of the house, the report said.

The brother then went down a hallway and saw Harris fighting with his mother. Fearing that the other intruder was also armed, he shot at her, forcing her to flee. Police said the 23-year-old fired a total of six pistol shots.

As the family called the police, the brother followed Harris outside, where he found her lying on the ground, wounded.

He later told police he asked Harris why they broke into his home, and she told him she “was trying to protect the kids.” It’s unclear from the police report what Harris meant. The family told police they didn’t know her or the other intruder.

Returning to his room, the brother grabbed an AK-47-style rifle and went back outside. He told detectives he fired a single rifle shot at the intruders’ gold Oldsmobile as they were driving away, hoping to hit a rear tire and prevent them from leaving. It’s unclear if the shot hit the car.

Police said the two drove about four miles to North Vista Hospital, where the man was pronounced dead. Harris was transferred to University Medical Center in critical condition. None of the family members were injured.

Harris has a long criminal history in Las Vegas dating to 2006. She has been convicted of several burglaries and robberies, attempted grand larceny, petit larceny and malicious destruction of property, court records show.

Harris, who remains hospitalized, was booked in absentia on charges of attempted murder, robbery, kidnapping, home invasion, and conspiracy to commit robbery and conspiracy to commit home invasion, police said.

The identity of the male intruder will be released by the Clark County coroner’s office after notification of family.

Contact reporter Colton Lochhead at or 702-383-4638. Find him on Twitter: @ColtonLochhead

News Headlines
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like